485 On Ab

rowens

I have been asked at work to build a control for a new type of machine for a new product line.this is an R&D project.

I would like a recommendation on the best wat to communicate with an A/B 5/03 processor.
I have two pieces of equipment that uses 485 and would like to put them into this new system. we are also wanting to install a Maple touchscreen.
I am unfamiliar with setting up communication with other items.
Does the communication board if used go in the slot next to the processor or can it go anywhere?
I already have the allen bradley software and rslinx. The Maple software is on the way.I am running windows xp.

I appreciate all comments/help pro or con.

thanks,
Ricky

best off using the SLC503's serial port for the maple touchscreen (hopefully its got one-never touched one, no idea) and keeping the DH485 for a network/laptop interace

Last edited:
When you say 485 are you refering to RS485 or DH485? There is a difference.

I am not sure what you mean about a communication board.
What are the 485 items?

This is a link to the SLC500 User Manual, Appendix A describes using DH485
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um011_-en-p.pdf

Maple offers DH485 point to point but will probably be better used with DF1 on Channel 0, I think you have to specifically order what you need so maybe you should check on that aspect. Maple website is www.hmidirect.com

Ricky
As Ron wrote RS485 is not DH485.(DH485 is AB protocol)
Far as I know 5/03 is not supporting rs485 directly.I think you need to use 1747 KE which is interface unit,you can configure one of the ports to rs485.I think you can use the other port on this unit for programming and the port on the processor (9 Pine) for the HMI.
If you can not do so, put the HMI on the rs485 network too.
if your devices are DH485 do what Andrew suggested.

Good Luck

Please forgive me.
I did not know there were two types of 485.
I can say that I have learned something today and that makes it to be a wonderful day. When people no longer learn they tend to get bored.

The label on the devices reads RS-485.
I will need to connect 2 of these devices.
Will both connect to one adapter?
Will I need 2 of the 1747 Ke interface units to get separate connections or will I need to go a different way?

Would a 5/04 be a better choice than the 5/03?
I have not worked with one more than the other and none as far as communications just on existing systems.

Unfortunately for you, RS485 tells only part of the story.

RS485 is an electrical standard. It sets voltage levels and the types of signals involved in serial data transmitssion.

You also need to know what protocol will be used. A protocol is a set of rules for encoding/decoding the information. It may be helpful to think of the protocol as the language spoken by all connected devices.

All devices connected by the serial transmission line have to operate at the same voltages and utilize the same signal lines. They must also use the same protocol.

Some Allen Bradley PLC models can use a protcol called DH485. It's an ufortunate choice of a name, because it implies that it is used over an RS485 signal line even though that's not always the case. Its even more unfortunate because there is a different Allen Bradley protocol called Data Highway. But DH485 is not the same as Data Highway. (DH485 has been called the "Data Sidewalk', but we won't get into that.)

There is another consideration. Some protocols are set up as master/slave. In that configuration, there can be only one master on a network. The master is the only device that can initiate communications. The slaves' role is limited to responding to commands from the master. Some protocols can be configured as peer-to-peer where any device can initiate communications.

So, in addition to knowing the electrical connection (RS485), you also need to know what protocol all devices are using and whether an individual device is to be configured as a master, a slave, or a peer.

You are not offering enough details, we do not know that the RS485 devices can work with the PLC, what are the devices? Will these devices be using ASCII? OR?

I think the 1747-KE Interface module may be more applicable for connecting the RS485 devices. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um005_-en-p.pdf

You will have to look at the devices and plan the connections and protocols to be used.

So far I see putting the Maple on Ch0(DF1), leave Ch1(DH485) open for programming and use the KE for interfacing to the RS485 devices.

The devices are manufactured by Advantage Engineering.
They are Sentra temperature controllers SK series.
The information in the manual is vague about communication.
It appears that the manual is good for basic use but does not get into detail about communication.

It does mention that communication address is adjustable from 1-99.

The baud rate is adjustable from 1200-2400-4800-9600.

:unsure: The protocol is selectable from "SPI" which is the standard Society of Plastics Industry(What the *!#$*&) to "CAC" which is CAMAC(again what the!*#$%)used on older CMI machines.
no information about these protocols are given. just the fact that they are selectable and what the initals stand for..

I have never heard or these protocols.
The only knowledge of Protocals I have studied to any extent is the tips that come from this site to my email.
They help Phil!!
Keep it up!!
I do not think anything this strange was discussed.
If it was, I missed it.

:confused:
Has anyone heard of these?

I think Steve is right if the communication protocol is not clear you will have to go to basic module and write the protocol by your self.

That would be safer to use BASIC then KE.

Hi

If you are going to use Modbus RTU.
I would suggest you to use HMI with modbus port like Hakko V706.
http://www.hakko-elec.co.jp/index_e.html
I use it all the time.
The HMI have 3 ports 1.USB for programing 2.for PLC 3.configurable as modbus free.
You can use the HMI as gateway or to R/W values on the temp controlers.
Its very easy to set and work fine.
It would save you the basic module.
Usually the temp controlers are slave but make sure they are not master.
Maple have also HMI with addtional RS485 port like blue 300, but I dont know if they have modbus rtu.