1761-NET-ENI, is this setup wrong

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
Ok, I never dealt with the ENI module before but I just found myself one on a project. This is the current setup:

1761-NET-AIC <-PM2 cable-> 1761-NET-ENI
/
SLC 5/03 - Link Coupler
\- 2711-K9C3 Panelview

I don't think this setup ever worked since NET-AIC can't talk to NET-ENI because ENI only talks in DF1 module, right? This is an system that a integrator put in a while back and I'm just asked to put it on the ethernet. I guess I can connect the ENI to the DB9 port on the 5/03 but I like to use that port for a bar-code-scanner..

Ok, let me see if I get this right...

Move the RJ45 plug (from the Link coupler) from the 5/03 to the 1747-KE. connect the NET-ENI to DB9 on the 1747-KE and the bar-code-reader to the DB9 on the 5/03, right?

You're correct that the 1761-NET-ENI cannot be connected to a DH485 network via a 1761-NET-AIC.

You could connect the 1761-NET-ENI directly to the Channel 0 serial port of the SLC-5/03.

In that case you would require some other method to connect your barcode scanner (DeviceNet, BASIC or ASCII module, etc).

You might be able to preserve your open Channel 0 serial port by adding a 1747-KE module to connect to the 1761-NET-ENI, but you would only be able to access Node 01 of the DH485 network from Ethernet. I'd test such a thing before trying it out.

Another thought; The DF1/ASCII bridges built by Tomantron would probably work well here.

For a while Jiri's website wasn't coming up on my DNS resolver, but I tried www.tomantron.com/index.html and up it popped this afternoon.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I am leaning toward the 1747-KE, since the $ is comparable to the Muxiport. Also, from reading the KE manual it seems to suggest all the devices on the DH485 including the Panelview will be made accessable from the ethernet. Is this correct, ken?

Unfortunately, no. The 1761-Net-ENI uses regular old point-to-point DF1 Full Duplex to connect to the device it is plugged into, so it considers itself to be Node 00 (on DF1) and the SLC/Micro/PLC to which it is connected to be Node 01.

If the Net-ENI would include DF1 destination addresses other than Node 01 in it's outgoing packets, then you could browse through a 1747-KE and out onto a DH485 network. But it doesn't, so you can't.

I recall vaguely seeing a DH485 to EtherNet/IP gateway advertised recently, but I can't figure out where I saw it.

I have a 1747-KE here at the office, Harry, if you want to borrow one to check this out before you buy a module.

ArggHHHH! I think I just fried the ENI module by trying to do a firmware upgrade. It got stuck on the 'Update Firmware' section... now the module will not respond. Oh well, I guess I wait till the morning to drive some poor Rockwell support people nut ;)

I just found some BASIC module buried in the stockroom so I will put the Bar-code-scanner on one of that.

Mickey, that's an interesting find.

Harry, two things:

1. I might be able to fix that ENI module if it has any of its boot code left. PM me or send an e-mail.

2. I tested ENI/KE and found it can pass read/write data table messages, but not much else. I could not go online nor browse the whole DH485 network.