Reprogramming a PLC?

stickben

Hello, im trying to do some development with reprogramming a PLC via a pocket PC. I know it can be done, but I cant seem to get the PLC program in any type of binary format. I am using GX developer and it has one button to write the PLC, but no intermediate/compiled files are generated that I could use to send to the PLC via RS232. My customer wants their users to be able to reflash the PLC in the field without any special programming cables. Can anyone give me any info?

Thanks,
Ben

i would ask customer what do they consider "not special cable".

if the answer is any wired cable (no electronics) that preferably can be purchased on ever corner, i would suggest ethernet.
this would add cost of about $700US to each Q series PLC and about double for older systems. but it is probably most convenient way to get connected (even if no networking was intended).

RS232 is easy (read inexpencive to add) to some FX PLCs (like FX2N), Q has standard RS232 port built in while adding RS232 port to rack based plcs (A, QnA,...) can cost as much as ethernet.in such case SC09 cable is still worth considering if not invaluable.

My problem is that they want their product to be "field reprogrammable" so if there is a PLC software change, then the PLC can be updated via the RS232 connection that already exists. Software has already been created to copy some sort of binary file to the PLC in order to update the firmware. I have updated the PLC's firm ware but I cant find any way to create a binary file from the source code. GX developer only has a "Write to PLC" button, but does not produce any files that I can use.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the answers!

Try using a terminal program - in non-text mode, so you don't lose any characters - to capture the serial data when you hit the "Write PLC" button.

Then take that captured file and try to download it to the PLC.

If you can, then you just have to figure out how to get that file into, and send it out of, a PocketPC.

Is it...

RoTaTech, is it possible to do this?
I thought the software had to communicate with the controller, since it is "setting up" the memory. Like if you choose the wrong plc type, you might get an error trying to download.
I didn't think it was possible to just dump the binaries into the port........ But if it is possible, it is interesting! Especially to use as a simple way of downloading the new program (in remote places)

Ya, it seems that very few people know how to do this. I am in contact with some application engineers at Mitsubishi. I know that it is possible because I have a working setup (only the firmware file is out of date) I need to generate a new firmware file from my ladder logic, but it seems that this is somewhat of a black science.

Thanks,
Ben

PS, I already tried to "sniff" the serial data when I do a "write PLC" It must be in a different format because it does not match up with the binary...

I don't know if it's possible, but it's sure worth a try.
If you can't "go online" with the terminal program when you hit Send to PLC (i.e. trying to do the capture) then there are programs that will - as Stickben states - sniff the data. They would run on a PC with two serial ports, acting as a passthrough while capturing. Then you will be able to see the comms in both directions.