Siemens 305 series

rodney312s

Just getting started with an older siemens 305 and need some help. Got the software installed but not sure what i need for a cable to connect to the PLC.??? Any info would be great. Thanks

That PLC is the same thing as the Automation Direct DL305 series. Automation Direct offers CPU models that have serial ports built-in, but I'm not sure if they were available when TI or Siemens brand labeled the product line. You may need a Data Communications Unit that plugs into the CPU. These are still available from AD. They come in two versions, RS232 and RS422. Most people use the RS232 version.

What ports are available on your CPU? If there is only one port and it has two vertical rows of 13 pins each, then you need the DCU. The Automation Direct part number for that is D3-232-DCU and the cable is part number D3-DSCBL2.

If you have a phone jack seial port on your CPU, then you need cable D3-DSCBL1.