Fanuc 90-30 VersaPro not communicating

herman_swartz

I am a beginner trying to get my VersaPro (on Windows XP Home Edition with sp2) to communicate with a Fanuc 90-30 via the serial port with an RS232 adapter connected to PC via straight thru 9 pin Dsub cable. The VersaPro is configured with default serial settings 9 1 ODD. What should the flow control be set to?

I removed the battery from the power supply hoping to get the serial configuration back to default.

The run light is off, so must not have a program in the PLC.

It has a IC693CPU331L CPU in the second port of the 10 port expansion rack. I noticed one of the pins on the CPU module is pushed back in. I pulled the pin back out with pliers but it gets pushed back in when I plug the module into the expansion rack.

The CPU module has many more pins than what I am plugging it into. The slot has a three position dip switch. Is this the correct slot for this module? Am I trying to use an incorrect expansion rack? Maybe I should not be using an expansion rack at all.

HELP
Herman

To begin with, the CPU needs to go in a CPU rack. On a CPU rack, the slot to the immediate right of the power supply has a larger backplane connector to accomodate the CPU.

Since your backplane has dipswitches, its definitely an expansion rack. Don't waste your time trying to make the CPU fit. You'll only damage the CPU.

You need either an IC693CHS391 (10 slot) or IC693CHS397 (5 slot)

The other four slots in a five-slot CPU rack are for I/O modules as are the other 9 slots in a ten-slot CPU rack. When you get one you'll see that the backplane connector in the slot reserved for the CPU is larger than the rest. The others will be the same size as the backplane connectors in the expansion slot you have.

Just hope you haven't damaged the CPU by trying to force it into an I/O slot.

As far as communications between the PLC and VersaPro are concerned, both the PLC and VersaPro default to the same port settings. As long as you set up VP to communicate out of the same COM port on your computer that you connect your cable to, and your RS232/422 coverter is in working order, you should be able to communicate once you get a CPU rack.

Last edited:
I got the PLC equipment from an engineer in another department of my company. He plugged the CPU into the socket. I just now noticed the CPU connector didn't match the backplane.

I am working with almost no documentation even after spending some time searching the Internet.

Your replies are the best information I have received.

Thanks again Steve.

Herman