A/B 1492 series cables

rowens

I have a several questions about the prewired cables Allen bradley offers to speed up construction times. I have to work alone and on a timetable for completion of this project.
The modules that I am planning to install are 1746-IB16 input, 1746-OB16 output,1746-NR8 for 8 RTDs.

My first question is"how do you determine which cable is for which module?
It mentions in the information I found on A/B website the for the cables that you can get them with an IFM on one end.
I prefer the loose wires to connect to a terminal strip on this end. It shows several different cables and colors of the RTB connector for the cables.
Do the colors match a particular module? I saw that you can make the part number by selecting the color and lenght on the digital I/O cables such as 1492-cable050RTBR for a cable 5 meters long with a red RTB connector on one end to connect to the module.There is no mention of which particular module other than the 1746 series I/O.
The information also mentions that two wires are not connected.
Where to these wires connect to? Spares?

I have never installed RTDs from scratch before so I am at a total loss as to which cable would connect to this nmodule.
I found reference to several analog cables but not that mentioned RTDs specifically. I probably overlooked them by looking too hard.
Can someone recommend a cable for this application or give me additional information?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Richard

Re: RTD wiring

RTD devices come in either 3 or 4 wire configurations (the first configuration has 1 compensation wire and the second configuration has 2 compensation wires). It is very important to keep the resistances as equal as possible on all wires. Therefore I would advise you to use a shielded 3 or 4 core cable between the RTD input module and the terminal strip. RTD circuits are more prone to noise than 4-20mA loops so the shield is a definite "must have".

I've run cable 50 metres between a RTD probe and the panel in 3 wire configuration and it worked OK. If the cable length is longer, try a 4 wire configuration or put a 4-20mA "hockey puck" transmitter in the termination housing of the RTD probe.

I have a copy printed out.
I have read some of it.I also have chapter 5 1746 I/O modules publication CIG-W001B-EN-P May 2005 that I downloaded and section seven titled SLC/1746 system.
It is a lot of material.I am just learning A/B.There is no one here at work to ask anything.The other guys do good work but do not know anything about PLCs.I am sorta a newbie myself as far as new systems.I have worked on existing systems some though.
I appreciate the link and the information on the Belden or equivalent numbers.

When I worked under contract at Allen-Bradley several years ago, we used the heck out of these cable and wiring systems. This was obviously a great showcase for more A-B items.

Back then, I acquired "cheat sheets" from the information available on A-B's website for "selection" of the right termination panel for the right PLC module.

This can get confusing, because one module may work for others, but needs the correct label applied to appear as designed.

MY ADVICE:
Everyone (okay, a lot of you) bad-mouths A-B for being expensive. Then make the salespeople (both your outside and tech guys) earn their living. Arrange a meeting with them and sort out all of your needs. They will insure you get the appropriate wiring system parts up front.

Jimmie_Ohio said:
When I worked under contract at Allen-Bradley several years ago, we used the heck out of these cable and wiring systems. This was obviously a great showcase for more A-B items.

Back then, I acquired "cheat sheets" from the information available on A-B's website for "selection" of the right termination panel for the right PLC module.

This can get confusing, because one module may work for others, but needs the correct label applied to appear as designed.

MY ADVICE:
Everyone (okay, a lot of you) bad-mouths A-B for being expensive. Then make the salespeople (both your outside and tech guys) earn their living. Arrange a meeting with them and sort out all of your needs. They will insure you get the appropriate wiring system parts up front.
Does that mean the information I need is not actually in the normal available information?
no wonder I am confused

Jimmie_Ohio said:
Sorry if this was unclear...
What I meant is that I used these so much, I made copies of the ones I used the most and kept those "stick pinned" to my cubicle wall.

Like I stated above, all of this is available on A-B's website if you are resourceful enough to find it.

I still say that the customer should always use the resources of the sales and technical forces from his vendors, especially if he is having selection problems.

thanks mgvol.

page 35 of this manual had exactly the information I needed explaining the cables for the input and output cards.The 1746-cable050RTBB fits the 1746-IB16 and THE 1746-OB16 MODULES.it is also available in other lenghts. this one is 5 meters long
I will need to read more to determine the one for the 1746-nr8.
The orange connector is only for the 1746-OW16 and 1746-OX8.
The red connector is for the 1746-IA16, 1746-OA16, 1746-OAP12, 1746-IM16.
It would be nice if A/B would reference this information in the other manuals that I had already found. They just say that these were for 1746 I/O and how to make a part number with descriptions of each. they do not give information as to which cable were for which module.

thanks again.This was a tremendous help.
I never would have found this link by myself.
I had spent some time on the A/B site but had ran into a wall.

Last edited:
These are also lsited in the Selection Guides for the various hardware platforms. Ask your AB distributor for the SLC500 Systems Selection Guide (also ask for it for any other platforms you may use: MicroLogix, ControLogix, etc.). They should give them to you for free. Or you can go to the Rockwell Literature Library and look for 1747-SG001, etc.

Would they be on the CD labeled Technical Reference Library 2005?
I have a copy of this disk also.A lot of information.
It seems knowing exactly which manual or bulletin I need and how to find it is hard to determine.

At one time, they put everything in the literature library on those disks; they may be there. Just look for document titles like XXXX-SG001X-EN-P (XXXX=1747, 1756, 1761, etc. X= revision, EN=English, P=publication).