GE 90-30 To SLC500

atatari

Hi,

We have a system that works with GE 90-30(20) PLC. I want to use a SLc 500 or PLC5 and change the PLC and obviously the program.The problem is the PLC program is huge.Is there an easy way of converting the program than rewriting the whole program?

There is no direct conversion between a GE and AB plc, you would have to rewrite it.

My question is why? The 90-30 is still sold and supported by GE, it has windows based software (VersaPro) that will easily convert alot of LogicMaster files, I think the LM90 files have to be version 6 or higher. The GE 90-30 is a decent plc overall, if its working why change it? If its not then you can easily get replacement parts or do an upgrade to another GE product that would be alot simpler. I KNOW I wouldnt replace it with a PLC5 (nothing against the plc5 actually, the cost though compared to staying with 90-30 would be high).If the 90-30 is a very old model then you may have to do 2 things, upgrade the LM90 files to higher version (if programmed with LM90 software) then if not comfortable with Logicmaster obtain VersaPro (approx price $800US with adapter/cable compared to RSLogix5 at $3500 no cable). To use VersaPro with older 90-30's you will need to upgrade the firmware (approx cost $87 US).

Somewhere I have a link to a company in CA that sells alot of GE Fanuc used parts and ebay is always a good source for low prices.

I have had some strange experiences dealing with GE but I can not say that the product isnt good.

by hand

Hand translation is call for here, for sure.

I've translated in both directions, and its more than
just re-mapping memory. GE and AB have a few
different instructions that may give you trouble.

Also, look beyond the software...

Is there some strange I/O module that is not available
in Allen Bradley? If so, you'll be in a real pickle
when it comes time to re-wire.

If you really need access to the data in this PLC,
why not consider upgrading to the 90-30 with ethernet
on the front, and get at the data that way?

Thanks guys,
The reason is those different instructions in Ge that makes trouble when I troubleshoot the machine I guess by upgrading it to windows version ,it will be easier to work with.

If your considering buying new software for the GE 90-30 realize that VersaPro is kinda obsolete now. You can still buy it, the last version is 2.03. GE has come on with a new version of software called Cimplicity ME that can program 90-30 and versamax PLCs, there Quickpanel Touchscreens and there Motion devices all from one package. I don't know what the cost of the package is because I haven't bought it yet.

me either

I haven' priced GE's latest offering, but I'm a bit
hesitant to recommend it, based on my own VersaPro
experience.

In general, I find these 'one platform programs everything'
claims are a little lame, until you can actually prove that
you can actually do everything on one platform.

Even Rockwell has trouble sharing databases on the RSLogix
stuff, right out of the box. (Unless there's a RS.....
product that I'm not aware of)

Logic Master might not be pretty, but, you can't say
that it doesn't work. You just need to make sure you
have a DOS machine around to run it on.

I purchased one of the toolboxes they are offering right now and I got it today. The one I got came with a Micro PLC, Programming cable, VersaPro and Cimplicity ME. The program packages are only good for Micros or nanos but I figure I'll load up the ME package and see how it looks.

If you have a local GE sales guy he will probably be willing to give you a demo CD of ME. I was told it is the full version but it will only run for 4 days. Then you can just reload it.

I've read some responses from some guys at the GE forum and they seem to like the ME software.

Personally I can relate to atatari's dilemma in a sense. GE does do things uniquely and if using LM90 it can be difficult to troubleshoot, but any dos based software can be difficult in a sense. Poor graphics (actually none), small screen ( even if expanded may not see more than one rung at a time), requires using different screens for many minor details.

I am not in the league with most programmers here but with an XP machine, no serial port(using a USB adapter) and VersaPro I can still connect to GE 90-30 to store or load. Its possible to work with older firmware versions by turning off the warnings but I wouldnt advise it. For approximately $87 US you can buy the firmware upgrade and eliminate those issues.

Personally here is how I see it, if you are familiar with AB in depth and can rewrite the program then submit that to the powers that be and let them decide. Personally I think if you are that familiar with AB then it would be nothing to master GE. Again Preference plays an important part in all this. IF you have the software for AB or can talk the powers into obtaining it, the plc and I/O, and are more comfortable with it then you should go for it. I wouldnt expect the cost to be more than $10,000 US maybe with the software.

If the powers that be arent interested in spending that much then go for the VersaPro even if others say its obsolete (it may be but its still sold and supported so I am not sure where obsolescence applies). It is windows based and does work (at least for me it does) and the cost is way below what would be called for in replacing the unit with an SLC. Overall the GE Fanuc is a decent plc and not hard to deal with.

Sometimes our jobs mean we have to deal with things we arent comfortable with but in time you will learn and be the better for it.

rsdoran said:
If the powers that be arent interested in spending that much then go for the VersaPro even if others say its obsolete (it may be but its still sold and supported so I am not sure where obsolescence applies).

Ron,

What I meant by "kinda obsolete" was that from my understanding GE isn't going to come out with any new revisions, 2.03 is the last one. VersaPro is a decent package and it doesn't cost as much as some other brands of software or GE's new offering for that matter. It gets the job done and is 10 times better than LM90. For what I do at my job it works out fine so I haven't bothered to try and get the new software despite my salesmen telling me how great it is.

I did load the Nano/Micro version of Cimplicity ME that came with the Toolbox kit I mentioned. The screen layout is suprisingly close to RSLOGIX, go figure.