AB powerflex I/O comms fault

mrdmrd

Hello everyone. I have a problem that I have been beating my head against for about the past few months off and on.

I have an AB powerflex 70 that intermintitly gives an I/O comms fault. This is followed by a HW overcurrent fault. I know that it is not the drive as I have swapped out the entire drive with a brand new one with a brand new I/O card. I have also replaced the I/O cable to one that each wire is shielded to help eliminate and noise on the I/O cable. I have three identical drives in this control cabinet. They are about 15 inches apart and each are programmed the same and all three drive the same size motors. I have not had any problems with the other two drives. I have checked the load on the motor and it is well below the rating. The only way that I can reset the fault is to pull the fuses and totaly power down the drive. The I/O into this drive is analog for speed referance, forward, reverse, fault reset, overload fault output (for alarm). If anyone has any thoughts on what could be causing this PLEASE PLEASE let me know. At this time I have our local AB dealer's VFD guru stumped.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Here's what Rockwell has to say about this fault:

Hardware Overcurrent

Fault Description : The drive output current has exceeded the hardware current limit.

Corrective Action : This indicates that the drive has exceeded
300% of output rated current. The load on the drive is too great.
Make sure that Motor nameplate data is entered correctly. Make
sure that Sensorless Vector or Flux Vector mode is set properly. Make sure the drive has successfully completed an autotune, since an improper autotune may set parameters incorrectly, and may cause this fault.
If a Hardware Overcurrent fault occurs after a start command at
low frequencies or RPM (below 20hz), change parameter 47 [Motor OL Hertz] to 0 hz. The default is 20hz. This will change a derating curve in the drive and allow more current output at lower frequencies.