ultrasonic

ungaro

nothing to do with plc... can electrostatic energy give problems with analogue utrasonic distance sensors tat can be used for unwinding?

Improperly shielded cabling would be my guess and/or an inappropriately shielded sensor

Hang an o'scope on the ultrasonic sensors input both at the sensor output - should tell you what you need to know

That would be my course of action

Rod

Last edited:
ESD can take out the electronics in a sensor, yes. It can also introduce noise on the signal leads.

Other things that can affect ultrasonic distance units include temperature, humidity, ultrasonic noise from air leaks, and the incident angle of the sonic wavefront on a curved surface to name a few.

Another thing that caused problems with some of our older sensors is air leaks. The leaks apparently produced a frequency used by the old sensors we had.