HMI Model Colors

peng

Hello there I am designing screens with push buttons, indicators, login/logout, mode buttons, etc. in panelview plus. I need to know the standard colors to be used for the different buttons when they are ON and OFF state. Push button for START will be green when it's ON, STOP to be red. What are the colors to be used for manual, step, auto, single cycle, quality check, disable, abort, immediate stop, home, etc. If there is a site that will give me the the different standard of colors will be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Yes I understand that Steve. What I am looking for is if there are any standards like ISA (instrumentation society may have come up).

Of greater importance than the color you choose for any action or state is how consistently you apply your choices.

If you choose chartreuse to represent the ON state of a function in single-step mode, then ALWAYS use dhartreuse to represent the ON state in single-step mode and NEVER use chartreuse to represent the OFF state in semi-automatic-boss-modified mode.

NFPA has a standard, NFPA 79. For illuminated pushbuttons:
RED - Machine has stalled because of overload etc...ie Stop condition. NOTE: The ESTOP should be RED but should not depend on the illumination of its light.

Yellow (Amber) - Attention or caution...A situation like a temperature approaching its permissible limits.

Green - Start or ON, machine ready

White/Clear - Confirmation that a circuit has been energized, energizing of auxillary functions or circuit not related to the working cycle.
As an example on some systems you main have a MAIN Start which energizes an MCR or equivalent and allows you to energize the rest of the system...ie on a printing press you may have to start the system, then start the heat/fans, then start the rewind and unwind then the main drive...each start button for these would be White if located on the main control panel.

Blue or Gray...anything that wasnt mentioned above.

Any other colors you may find would probably be the same as blue or gray. As Steve mentioned be consistent with using the colors.

As also mentioned different people may offer different methods plus argue that NFPA79 does not actually have authority to enforce this standard. I will not debate the legalities of the issue, the simple fact is that NFPA is not a regulatory authority but does write and publish codes/standards for Electrical/Safety issues.
This is my personal opinion. If a legitimate organization like NFPA writes a standard, like the above, and it is always followed then eventually it will help in reducing safety hazards.

Also NOTE that even though NFPA is not a regulatory authority OSHA is and uses/references NEC and NFPA codes/standards. I can not state if this particular application is referenced by OSHA or not.

I have 5 kids that hate to do housework, I almost have to stand over them to get them to clean their rooms etc. Engineers and/or management, in general, are like my kids when it comes to things like color codes...if no one is standing over them (its not a law etc) then they will do what they want.

I will get off my soapbox now.

Last edited: