Replacing Siemens S5 Weigh Module with AB ControlLogix

metal_pro

We are looking at replacing a Siemens S5 system with a Allen-Bradley ControlLogix system. There is a Siemens Weigh module but I can not find any information about it. The Siemens weigh module part numbers are 7MH3710-3AA and 7MH3305-1AB.
Does anyone have information about these items and any recomondations as to what Controllogix replacements to use.

Load Cells with Controllogix

You can find the manual for the processor module at
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/16796782

However, I'm not a Siemens expert but I have installed worked with tons of load cells. You most likely have a Siemens brand load cell but maybe not. Load cell signals are measured in millivolts usually 2 or 3mv/V. That means 2V per excitation volt. Excitation voltages maybe something like 5 to 15VDC.

You can use a 1756-IT6I2 thermoucouple module that reads mV in the range you will probably need but I would strongly urge against doing so (cost may be big factor). I would use a seperate signal conditioner to change the mV signal to 0-10VDC or 4-20mA and use an analog input card.

In a retrofit I did a few years back I had a seperate 15VDC din rail mount power supply, and a signal conditioner to take the mV signal (I think it was 0 to 30mV range at 15VDC excitation) and ran it into a PLC-5 analog input. It even worked when I was done. HAHAHAHAHA

If you need any more ideas, please reply or email me.