RSView Studio Connections tab dead

russrmartin

Hey guys, I have a Panelview Plus 700 that I am adding screens to. I have some numeric displays created, but in the object properties box when I click the connections tab to tell the object what data point to get, I get nothing. It's like the connections tab is disabled. I don't get an error or anything. I have tried a reboot thinking maybe something was goofed up, but that did nothing. Has anyone seen this?

Russ

russrmartin said:
It's like the connections tab is disabled. I don't get an error or anything.

Do you mean the communications tab in the RSLinx Enterprise configuration? There are some things to note here:

1) There are two tabs: Local and Target. The Local tab configures communications for your PC. Since this configuration isn't downloaded to the Panelview, it's not much use. The Target tab configures communications on the Panelview (the "target" device).

2) You will need to manually add channels here (no live browse). Right click each level to add a connection and build your path. For example, add an ENET module, then add a backplane under it. Next, add a CPU in the backplane (or a CNET module, to a CNET module, and another backplane with a CPU, if your rack config calls for it). Cross your eyes, fingers, and toes: this should work.

AK

No, not that tab. I mean the connections tab in the numeric display properties. When I double click my numeric display, the font, color and all that opens. But the connections tab at the top will not switch.The general and common tabs work, but connections does nothing.

Haven't seen this but......

When you say "I get nothing" does that mean, for example, if you are on the Common tab and click on the Connections tab, that does nothing and you remain on the Common tab? Or does the Connection tab appear with everything grayed out?

What happens if you right-click on the Numeric display and choose Connection(s)?

OG

When on the common tab, if I click the connections tab nothing happens and I remain on the common tab. If I right click the display and select the connections tab it takes me to the common tab box. I haven't seen this, and have no idea why all of a sudden it would do this. It's as if I don't have anything specified for the connections tab to open. It also doesn't matter what application I have open. They all act the same.

Last edited:
Did you configure your communications shortcuts when you first created the project? If not, in the Application Explorer look for RSLinx Enterprise. Open this and configure your comms. If you do not see RSLinx Enterprise, it was not installed (it is on the RSView Studio disk). If you did create an application without Linx Enterprise installed, you may have to call tech support. I have seen where installing Linx Enterprise after a project was already developed forced the user to start over from scratch.

What happens if you create a new object? Or a brand new screen, or a whole new application? Does this happen on any other objects or just Numeric Displays?

Also, what rev of ME are you using?

OG

It happens on all objects on all screens in any application. I mentioned this above. These are all applications that are running in the plant already, so something is up with this software on this computer. I just have no idea what. It doesn't matter if it is an existing object or a new one. They all act the same. It almost seems as if I somehow disabled this function or something. I am working on RSView Studio 3.10.00. As far as I can tell, I can do everything else, just the comms tab is not working.

Last edited: