Contrologix Firmware Update

KP_EENG

Lifetime Supporting Member
I recently purchased an Allen Bradley contrologix trainer for my company and the processor is a contrologix 5555 1756-L55/A, firmware version 15. My RSLogix software is Version 13.xx. When I got the trainer, I could see the processor on the network with RSLinx via a DH/RIO card, but I could not download a program. I used Autoflash to flash the processor with Version 13.xx firmware, but now I cannot see the processor with RSLinx, although I can still see all of the cards in the backplane. I contacted local support and was told that the processors can't be flashed with a prior firmware version, but the software allowed me to do it with no warnings.

Has anyone out there encountered such a problem? If so, how did you go about resolving it. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Best Regards.

Your local support is incorrect, any processor can be flashed with any FW revision. I would cycle processor power without battery and try to get online via serial port to see if processor is alive.

What is a status of the OK light?
Do you see processor with red "X" or yellow "?"

If you are not sure, call A-B techsupport - they will help you.

Yes, you can flash to a newer or older revision. I would suggest that you try flashing it again. Also, make certain you are getting the last revision of V13.

Rev 13.34 is the latest on the Rockwell web site for the 5555.

OG

also, do you not see the processor (as you mentioned) or are you getting a red X for that slot?

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that you don't have the CLX L55 version 13 EDS file loaded on your PC. RSLinx doesn't know what you are connected to. Go to the AB website and download the EDS and install it.

Also, someone at your local support site really needs to get jacked up. Telling someone they can't flash something backward is a pretty big miss for anyone supporting the Logix line.

Keith

Telling someone they can't flash something backward is a pretty big miss for anyone supporting the Logix line.
This is a very popular opinion among some salesman - be careful if using LOCAL support.
They don't undersatand difference between:
- changing program back to earlier version
- and flashing processor with eralier FW version.

kamenges is correct. The most common reason RSLinx will not "see" the processor in the backplane is a missing EDS file. Most likely the firmware flash did not "take". Try flashing it again.
You can see your EDS files by launching the Hardware EDS Installation tool: Start > Programs > Rockwell Software > RSLinx Tools > Hardware EDS Installation Tool. Launch the tool and click Remove. Scroll down to 1756-L55 and click the plus sign. You will see all currently registered EDS file versions for the L55. You also use the tool to register EDS files. You can download EDS files from: http://www.ab.com/networks/eds/

Regards

Be careful about claming that ALL ControlLogix processors can be flashed backwards. Some processors can only be flashed back so far because of support chip sets (I think). I ran into this when they cam out with the memory boards with the eeproms. Those have to be flashed 8.x and greater I think (long time). So, I do not know if some of the newer stuuf has similar limitations. I would read the firmware documentation carfully for the appropriate processor, as far back as the firmware notes go.

Darren

I am not aware of any backwards limitations, I did it many times down to ver 6.
But some processors are not supported in old version at all

Here is a full list of supported FW:

L1(5550)- all up to ver 13. No ver 14+ support
L53 - ver 6 - 11
L55 8-15+ with ver 6-8 limitation for M12, M2x - see post above!
L63 Ser A 10-15+
L63 Ser B and L61,62 Ser A/B 12-15+

Be careful about claming that ALL ControlLogix processors can be flashed backwards. Some processors can only be flashed back so far because of support chip sets.....

Some processors, when released, are released at a rev to match existing processors. You are right in that you cannot flash a processor to rev prior to its existence. But, once upgraded to a newer rev, it could be flashed back to the prior rev.

So when you go to the Rockwell firmware download page, you can easily see what revs are available for each processor.

OG

Thanks

Thank you all for your input. To give you a little more information on the problem, the processor does not appear at all in RSLinx. Niether the serial connection nor the DH+ connection shows up, where they did before I flashed the processor. I can switch it back and forth from program to run and the processor will go into run mode. I have other Contrologix processors in the plant that are version 13.34, so I do have the updated EDS files on my computer. It looks like the flash failed and left the processor communications in a bad state.

At this point, I am going to contact AB and see if I can return the processor and have them try to re-flash it. Anyway, it is still under warranty. Thank you again for the assistance.

Further Update

I was about to give up and call AB when I decided to try look at the EDS file on my computer. It turns out that the EDS file that I have is for version 13.01 and the version that I needed was version 13.25. I tried installing the EDS from the RSLogix CDs, but it was the earlier version, so I went to the link that RSLinx_Dude provide, downloaded the newer EDS file and the problem was resolved.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I certainly appreciate it.
Best Regards