SLC to CLX migration

smiller

What would be the options to migrate from installed SLC systems to Compactlogix processors that would utilize the existing SLC I/O.
I have done this with Modicon 984/Taylor Proworx to Quantum/Concept by using a remote I/O head module in the Quantum rack that connects to a remote I/O processor in the 984 rack with good results. Is this approach practical with Allen Bradley?

Thanks.

Steve

You can do this by removing the SLC CPU and replacing it with a 1747-ASB (Remote I/O adapter). Then use a 4-slot CLX chassis and power supply with the Logix CPU and a 1756-DHRIO module.

CompactLogix vs. ControlLogix

mgvol speaks the truth regarding ControlLogix platform. However you mentioned CompactLogix. CompactLogix does not have a DH+ option. Only the ControlLogix platform has the DHRIO card. Same family different form factor. CompactLogix form factor is similar to the MicroLogix. ControlLogix form factor is similar to SLC.

http://www.ab.com/logix/compactlogix/
http://www.ab.com/logix/controllogix/

Regards

That particular combination isn't going to fly.

CompactLogix can support field I/O via EtherNet/IP, ControlNet and DeviceNet.

I know SST is making a Remote I/O Adapter for Compact I/O, but I do not think they are planning a scanner.

1747/1746 I/O systems do not have EtherNet/IP or DeviceNet adapters that can control the I/O racks.

The 1747-ACNR ControlNet adapter only works with SLC ControlNet scanners.

So, you're back to 1756 ControlLogix with a 1756-DHRIO scanner and the 1747-ASB adapter for SLC I/O. It's what Rockwell intends to have you do if you are migrating existing SLC systems.

My bad guys: I guess I focused on the subject line "SLC to CLX" migration a little too much and not enough on the body of the post. OOPS!