What are S Bits?

kevintfa

Good mrning all!!

I have come across a program on a SLC 500 where there is a bit called S:103/5 with no description of any sort. I looked it up in the data files under S2-CPU status and found it on the usage page marked with an x. Does anyone know what it is?
It is located on a rung between an OSR bit and a OTL bit.
Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

That is a very high word in the status file... You need to look up the status file FOR THAT PROCESSOR. SLC's and micrologix have different status file lengths and layouts.

Snakes eyes on Indramat Power supply

We have a problem that occurs on our Indramat KVR 1.3-30-3 POWER SUPPLY'S. When the power to the unit is switching on and off frequently, we get a power failure and 2 blinking dots in the display window. Indramat responded by saying "we have never heard of this" The code is 01 power off, The only way to clear the blinking dots is to cycle power. This happens during set up when people are in and out of the light curtain and power is swithcing on and off frequently.

Has anyone heard of this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin,

this probably has nothing to do with your post on the power supplies ... but ...

based on what you’ve posted so far, here's my best guess about the "S:103/5" question ... I think that the original programmer was checking the information from station/node #03 on the DH+ network ... this is part of the little-known (and under-used) “Global Data” capability of the SLC-5/04 processor ...

s103.jpg

basic idea: the “Global Data” feature allows you to broadcast one 16-bit word over the DH+ network for “free” ... specifically, no MSG (Message) command is needed - and no additional network traffic is created ... note: PLC-5 processors can do this too ...

Last edited:
That makes sense since there is a laser welder connected to the network, and it looks like the bit is on when the beam is on. Thanks for the info, I had never come across something like that before!!! As far as the power supply post, it was supposed to be a new topic, but i was in the wrong screen...UUPS

Thanks for your help!!!