New Laptop - Models

10dulkar

I need suggestions/experiences on a laptop purchase I am about to make.

I have been using a Dell Inspiron 5100 for my programming needs and it has been nothing but trouble for me since day 1. Most recently 2 days back and I am ready to change!

I would really appreciate recommendations on a new one. Being a system integrator we use pretty much most PLC/HMI softwares AB, GE, Auto Direct, Mistubishi etc. and some PC based apps (VB, Compumotor 6K6 etc.) Also use AutoCAD for layouts and such and quite obviously Office/Browsing.

I have heard good things about IBM Thinkpads for CAD and such but no experience with programming and really no idea on what series to pick.

I would really appreciate some suggestions!!!

Thanks in advance...

IBM do not have laptop with serial port.It might be disadvantage.

I had to replace motherboard twice on my Inspiron 5100.
I also have Dell Latitude for the last 3 years with zero problems.
Dell Latitude 810 and 610 have serial port also HP NC6120 and 6220.
That what I can recommended.

I am setting up a new HP/Compaq nc6220.
It has a serial port.
It does not have a printer port, and has only a single PCMCIA port.
If you want these then a more expensive nc8000 would be needed.

The IBM ThinkPad R50 is great. I have been using this one for over a year running XP professional and I have had no issues with it. The only problem is that I have to use a USB floppy drive and serial port.

laptops

I would recommend a Toshiba unlike everyone else a serial port although a good thing is not necessarily needed on the mother board I have been programming and commissioning both Siemens Step7 and RS Logix using a USB to serial adapter and have had no problems with it at all

WilliamPritchard said:
I would recommend a Toshiba unlike everyone else a serial port although a good thing is not necessarily needed on the mother board I have been programming and commissioning both Siemens Step7 and RS Logix using a USB to serial adapter and have had no problems with it at all

You are lucky.
I know of no one else who has been able to get a USB to serial adaptor to work with Step 7. However, I did end up getting a USB to MPI adaptor, and it works very nicely. It also works on Profibus and PPI for S7-200. Now if my other PLCs and devices would get USB adaptors, I could dispense with my serial port altogether.

I've used a Dell Latitude D800 since around June of this year with absolutely no problems encountered at all, and yes it has a real serial port too.
I have had a tendancy towards Dell in the past and they still haven't let me down yet.

Mart

I hope I can find one with a real serial port as well...I havent been able to use 1747-PIC to connect to SLC 5/03's using a USB converter (Win XP issues it seems). I had to go back to a built in serial port laptop.

Doesnt seem like I can find one in IBM's w/ a port.

http://www.sealevel.com/knowledgebase/serial_app_notes/ser_app_note1.asp

Here's a link to one of the many companies that provide solutions for adding a com port to laptops that don't have a com port (i only picked this vendor because i've purchased and been happy with some of their other products). The 'high end' adapters like these can fully emulate a real serial port unlike some of the cheap $20USD solutions that won't work with a lot of PLC applications.

They do cost more though... Seems like anywhere from $75 (usb to db25 rs-232) to $300+ (usb to rs-422/485/530 types).

And USB isn't the only way to go either. There are a ton of PCMCIA solutions as well.

IBM did something where Lenovo (whoever that is) makes the laptops and I dont think a serial port is an option any more...maybe special order but geez what would that cost.

I think I would get a Dell Latitude, HP or Sager...Sager builds for many brands.

If a 1747-PIC is to be used you MUST have a built in serial port...a USB or PCMCIA adapter may work with in some cases but not with a PIC or buy a UIC card from AB.

The problem is not so much with adapters etc its that many of the older devices had to have continuous power...with 2K and XP there is a ACPI which manages power to external devices, this can create issues with some adapters.