Ethernet with FlexLogix Problem

hhuong

Hi All,

I am a newbie to ethernet network connection. I am trying to go online with FlexLogix through ethernet cable, but I got "Unrecognized Device, 1788-ENBT/A" Message (with yellow question mark) in RsLinx.

Here is how my network connection.
Laptop and FlexLogix (1788-ENBT/A) both connected to a hub through typical ethernet cable.
RsLinx Version: 2.42.00
Flexlogix IP: 100.0.80.0
Subnet: 255.255.0.0
Laptop IP: 100.0.78.0
Subnet: 255.255.0.0

I try to ping those two IP and I did receive reply from network. Then through my research, I also try to delete two Harmony files in RSCommon (just in case the files were corrupted). I had try all kind of method but I still get the same message. I believe I am pretty close to achieve my goal, maybe I miss some small detail.

Anyone have this kind of problem before? Please Help... Appreciate it...

My guess is that the EDS file for the FlexLogix is not on you laptop or is a different revision than the FlexLogix you have. You can check your installed EDS files by going to :

Rockwell Software -> RSLinx Tools -> EDS Hardware Installation Tool

and click on 'Remove'. The tool will do an audit of the EDS files you have installed. Check if the FlexLogix is installed and if it is what the revision level is. If the revision doesn't match your physical device revision you need to go to the AB website and downlaod the correct EDS.

As a side note, EDS files are not backward compatible in this case. You need to match the revision level.

Keith

Thanks, Keith.

After some research through your guide, I finally able to see my flexlogix in RsLinx. I learned a lot about EDS File through this experience.

One more question: After I download the EDS file and add it using EDS Hardware Installation Tools, do I still need the files that I save in my hard drive or Can I just delete it?

Another Problem!!!! After I am able to see my FlexLogix System in RsLinx, I couldn't see the FlexLogix System node in RsLogix 5000 Who Active. This is weird, I thought whatever appear in RsLinx will be seen at RsLogix 5000 Who Active?

Anyone have the same problem before?

I have had varying degrees of luck with EDS installs. As a matter of course I usually reboot after I add an EDS. It just seems to work better for me. At the very least shut down and restart both RSLinx and Logix5000.

Yes, you can delete the EDS file after you install it. The EDS install files away the information itself. However, I would file it away somewhere for future use. If you needed it once you will probably need it again if your PC dies.
Keith

I'll second what kamenges said, but add that I ALWAYS reboot after installing EDS files. Trust me. You'll save yourself alot of headaches.

I agree, ALWAYS reboot. For some reason it seems like the RS family of programs don't like things added after you've started a session, but will work happily after a reboot. Maybe oneday Rockwell will address this annoying issue ;-)

Mart

I have had similar problems in the past with the 1788-ENBT. I think it has 2 firmware revisions available for download. 1.xxx and 2.xxx. They are shipping at 2.xx now. The 1.xxx will work fine with your older RSLinx. I have flashed the enbt back to 1.xxx on my last 2 projects. Worked great after that with Linx 2.42.

The newer firmware is designed to use embedded eds files I think. I recently upgraded to RSLinx 2.5 and have no problems using either revision now. I am not sure you can use the latest firmware revision of that ENBT with Linx 2.42?

My suggestions may not be the "right" way to fix it, but it will get you online and running.

RSL

Hhuong, Make sure your RSLogix5000 version is compatible with the firmware in the FlexLogix. If your firmware is v13 then you need v13 Logix5000.