looking 4 small integrated plc

rancalifa

hi guy's

i am looking for a small PLC(somthing like microPLC) with the folloing properties:
1.built in small LCD screen for short msg.
2.I/O : 3 digital outputs , 2 analog inputs
3.ability to get data from prox-reader (unit that recognize proximity cards-HID type). the data(ID no.) is given by the reader by one of the fallwing formats (RS232, weigand or clock & data).
4.output port (i go 15 units of that kind and want to connect them by net to the main PLC(A-B SLC500 , or siemens S7-300) .

any advice would be helpfull ...

thank's
ran

Sounds like a perfect application for ABs Micrologix 1100.

10 inputs.
6 outputs
2 Analog inputs
LCD screen
RS-232/DH485/ModbusRTU port.
Ethernet

Either the A-B MicroLogix 1100 or the AutomationDirect.com DL-06 will do fine. I do reccommend you consider carefully using an inexpensive graphics touchscreen for the operator interface, though. They are available in monchrome for well under $1,000. (6" mono EZTouch $534 software $140 cable $20).

The money you spend on the interface will be more than offset by improved information display and reduced time in configuration. Most of the small PLC mounted screens are very limited in capabilities, scaling, control functions, etc. and require ladder logic for some functions.

Unitronics Vision 120 should be right up your alley. A little more expensive than the M91, but easier to use. Two serial ports, go RS485 on port 2 and you can program on port 1. Modbus protocol to talk back to your master PLC (does SLC support modbus? I know the Micros do.) Also, it has a snazzy little HMI with graphical capability, so you can be as simple or fancy as you please when putting the screens together. And a full keypad.

If you want to go cheap, use the M91, but it's more limited, and the modbus functions are called by "register invocation" rather than nice friendly function blocks. The M90 series won't do what you need.

As for AB, if you don't already have a copy of RSLogix laying around, remember to factor in several hundred USD to buy it when deciding. Unitronics Visilogic is free.

TM

Ran shalom,
Go with the Unitronics Vision.It should answer all your needs.
It is marketed by Zivan.They also give good suppport.
If you need more info PM me.

Lehitraot
Steve

Hi Ran

I just do a similar application like you mention.
I use DLo6 with Maple Blue 300 HMI.
All avilable in Israel.
I read barcodes in ASCII and control VFDs by modebus.I used additional com card.
The ASCII set up is very easy also the modebus.
I did similar project with Vision 120 before few years it was complicated then the KOYO.
If you new to the PLCs world go with Unitronics, Zivan will support you all the way.
If you have more confidence I would suggest you to go with Koyo.
If you need more help or advice feel free to PM me.
סוף שבוע נעים

some more question

Hi guys , and thanks for all the replays ..
If I chose to work with the uniteonics PLCs (v-120) , which communication should I chose for my PLC network? (does modbus is the best choice ? I am quit new with PLC stuff so I need something simple ..what hardwear connection should I chose to implement the netork?) .my main perpose of the net is to pass msg between the main PLC and the small PLCs (I don’t need msg between the small PLCs).
To remind you I got 12 small PLCs (lets say the v-120 type) set in line with 1.5km between the first and the last , distance between PLCs devided quit equal .
The last PLC in the line is connected to the main PLC.(200m)
I am still considering my main PLC type . I thougth about the A-B SLC 500/03 , or the siemens S7-300 ..( is there any other option which would be more suitable for my sys?)
Which modbus module should I use for those main PLCs ?
Do I need any driver and/or PCI card / modbus converter for my p.c (HMI interface) ?

Thanks for your help , ran

I would replace in your list SLC with CompactLogix. Network should be then DeviceNet or ControlNet (You then do not need any additional network card!). The price of these networks in that configuration should be the same level.

Unitronics communication

Hello Ran,

Beside RS232 communication you can choose for Unitronics CANbus or TCP/IP. For the long distance you mention RS232 is not an option. The limit for CANbus is 1000 meter this is for you not sufficient. This leaves only TCP/IP. (I forgot RS485 but I don’t think this will do for that distance (Maybe with repeaters))

The models M90, M91 and Vision 120 do not support TCP/IP communication. The models Vision 230, 260, 280 or 290 support TCP/IP. Modbus is a protocol that is supported over TCP/IP from Unitronics.

I don’t know A-B SLC 500/03 or the siemens S7-300 but I think they will support TCP/IP communication with Modbus.

Best regards,

Henry

modbus with RS485

hi and thanks for the help,

if i choose the RS485 interface , which cable should i use (4 wire twisted pairs?) , how many repeaters do i need for a 2km line ?
(do you got any recommendation on repeaters of that kind?)

thanks
ran

rancalifa said:
hi and thanks for the help,

if i choose the RS485 interface , which cable should i use (4 wire twisted pairs?) , how many repeaters do i need for a 2km line ?
(do you got any recommendation on repeaters of that kind?)

thanks
ran
Sorry I can't help you with that, I have never used RS485 I only know Unitronics supports it.

PERSONAL OPINION: The thing to do is decide what the MAIN PLC will be and work from there. IF you decide on Siemens then get a quote involving all Siemens products. It would be easy to network Siemens using Profibus or ProfiNet plus Siemens has the S7-200 which may work for you.....WHO knows if you obtain everything from one source then you may get a discount that allows you to do it with S7-300s all the way.

The same would apply to using AB, OMRON or Koyo, talk to them and obtain advice on equipment and pricing.

IF you are starting from scratch...ie no hardware, software and minimial experience then I would definitely try to work with the brand that offers good local support and possibly engineering services.