Micrologix 1000 Communications

malaim

Hi Everyone,
I have a Micrologix 1000 that I am trying to communicate with. I am running Windows 2000 professional on my PC. The software I am using is RSLogix 500 and RSLinx Lite Version 1.70.62. Will this combination of software work to get this thing communicating or am I doing something else wrong. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Mal

I doubt RSLinx 1.70 will work correctly in Windows 2000.... I guess I can check the knowledgebase on that.

MicroLogix 1000 default protocol settings are DF1 Full Duplex, and that driver is supremely easy to set up; just click the Autoconfig button.

But the Micro can also "auto-switch" to DH-485 protocol. Usually DF1 is the default, so if this controller has been communicating on a DH-485 previously (and I know for sure that RSLinx 1.7 won't run a PIC driver in Windows 2000) you'll have to cycle power to it before you try comms again.

It's also possible for your MicroLogix to be a model that is unsupported by your older copy of Logix 500. Maybe you can post the version of RSLogix 500 and the Series/Rev info from the controller label.

Ken,
I have tried your earlier suggestion with the autoconfig button. A message said "autoconfig successful" but when I try to go on line it doesn't recognise a driver as being selected. A message comes up which says "RS Linx has failed to configure the COM port! (the COM port may already be in use). I am running Revision 4.50.00 on RS Logix 500. Do you have any other suggestions as where I may be going wrong. Thanks very much for your help.
Mal

I'm running version 4.0 RS logix and version 2.31 RSLinx on win2000 and it works fine. Sounds like you may need a later version of RSLinx

It's probably that RSLinx 1.70 doesn't recognize the Windows 2000 hardware layer and thinks it cannot access the serial port at all.

Since RR confirmed that older versions of RSLogix 500 can use newer RSLinx versions, I'd recommend downloading the recent 2.40 release of RSLinx.

http://support.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates/

You'll have to go through the registration process, but it doesn't require a serial number to download RSLinx Lite.

Micrologix 1000 comms

We have several Micrologix 1000 controllers that operate our material feed system.
We also have RSLogix 500 v6.00.00 and RSLinx Lite v2.10.00 Build 10.
Our laptop with this software is running Windows XP.
We use a USB to Serial converter cable to the standard serial to mini-din RSLogix cable.
We are unable to communicate with any of these Micrologix 1000's. We can communicate to our SLC500's using the USB to Serial converter cable just fine. I've checked the coninuity of the RSLogix cable and it's fine. We've used auto-configure and have manually tried to configure the communications all to no avail.
Does anybody have any ideas???

kb9tua said:
We have several Micrologix 1000 controllers that operate our material feed system.
We also have RSLogix 500 v6.00.00 and RSLinx Lite v2.10.00 Build 10.
Our laptop with this software is running Windows XP.
We use a USB to Serial converter cable to the standard serial to mini-din RSLogix cable.
We are unable to communicate with any of these Micrologix 1000's. We can communicate to our SLC500's using the USB to Serial converter cable just fine. I've checked the coninuity of the RSLogix cable and it's fine. We've used auto-configure and have manually tried to configure the communications all to no avail.
Does anybody have any ideas???

I believe you will find not all devices will work using a USB to Serial converter. In this case a true serial port is required, such as those with the Dell latitude D6XX or D8XX series. Also pcmcia serial ports

More correctly not all PLC's will work with just any USB to serial converter. If your confident its the micrologix is configured DF1 the converters I know of that work is the M609.2 If its on the RS485 protocal then you need an 1747-UIC I've sucessfully used the Omron CIF31 for the df1 connections. By the AB minidin cable I assume your talking the 1747-pmo2 cable which would be the correct one. This cable isnot the same one you would use to communicate with an SLC

What is the brand name of USB adapter you are using??

If you are in the area (Saluda) I can let you try one that will work... Or I have a PCMCIA card you can use.

I may be coming to your area later in the week

Have you tried uploading as this old thread says? I think now it's 2.5 it may help

Mark

Our USB adapter was purchased from Radio Shack within the last couple of months. I can't upload because we don't have the programs downloaded yet.
How far away from Anderson, SC are you? What type of USB cable do you have? Same question about the PCMCIA card?

kb9tua said:
Our USB adapter was purchased from Radio Shack within the last couple of months. I can't upload because we don't have the programs downloaded yet.
How far away from Anderson, SC are you? What type of USB cable do you have? Same question about the PCMCIA card?

60min, head south on 178 I'm the on the right :).... you don't know where Saluda is? go passed lake greenwood then you are there

I have several USB cables that will work and I have one PCMCIA card that will also work

Mark

EDIT: Radio Shack has a bunch of cool stuff but there USB/serial cables as not the best...

I knew there was a Saluda, NC. I just moved down here from Indiana back in November. Still learning the area. Now, are you wanting to sell this stuff or offering it on a loan basis? No problem either way. If for sale though, I need a quote...lets say for the PCMCIA card. I think that would be more versitile.

tnx,
boB
robert.mccray at mergon.com

geniusintraining said:
60min, head south on 178 I'm the on the right :).... you don't know where Saluda is? go passed lake greenwood then you are there

I have several USB cables that will work and I have one PCMCIA card that will also work

Mark

EDIT: Radio Shack has a bunch of cool stuff but there USB/serial cables as not the best...

The main thing is if you are having an issue is get you communications resolved and get your equipment running the way you would like... if they work you can pay me or I can loan them to you either way not a big deal.

I have loaned other members cables and things if you only need to make one program change then I will lend it to you... if you need it for 6 months then just buy it (after you get it)

I have never been burned by anyone yet, most of the people that hang out here are becaues they like to help people... with people like that (I think) that its means that are fair honest people, life is better when people are kind :)

Send me you name and address, I will mail it to you [email protected] you can see the prices on our website, if they work and you like them I will send you an invoice

Mark

PS welcome to the south...

EDIT: Saluda SC is nothing like Saluda NC... NC is very nice, SC is very :confused: well..... NC is very nice :)

Last edited: