Software to test PL5/30

OFG

Hello everyone -

My boss just picked up 9 AB PL5/30 processors installed in 12 pos. racks and their I/O cards. He wants me to hook them up and test them, but I don't have any software to access them. (I have a registered copy of RSLogix 500, but it is my understanding that it will not work with PL5's.)

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than paying the big bucks for the software? And speaking of big bucks, how much would that be?

Thanks to all -

OFG (OldFatGuy)

OFG said:
Hello everyone -

My boss just picked up 9 AB PL5/30 processors installed in 12 pos. racks and their I/O cards. He wants me to hook them up and test them, but I don't have any software to access them. (I have a registered copy of RSLogix 500, but it is my understanding that it will not work with PL5's.)

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than paying the big bucks for the software? And speaking of big bucks, how much would that be?

Thanks to all -

OFG (OldFatGuy)

You are correct, you would need RSLogix 5 (not 500) to program them. I'm pretty sure that Logix5 costs quite a bit ($1k+ for the basic version, $3k+ for professional). It sounds like your best bet would be to find someone with the software to do the testing for you (for a small price).

Then again, if you're planning on using them, you're going to need Logix5 eventually anyways.

you need RSLogix5 standard ... last time I checked it was about $3,500 ... you also need a 1784-CP10 cable (minimum) ... you can build your own for about $10 or buy one from AB for about $60 ...

why don't you tell us what city in Ohio you're in ... some of our members might be close enough to help you out ... it might be worth a couple of hours driving to get the gear to them ... just a thought ...

jimbo is right ... the hardware isn't going to do you much good (long term) without the software ... or were you planning on selling these things off? ... or what? ... the more we know, the more we can help ...
and welcome to the forum ...

Thanks for the quick replies, you guys are great!

As for long term usage of the PLC racks, there is nothing on the radar at this time. I think he got them surplus and will try to sell them if we don't find an application shortly (not likely).

And speaking of selling them, is ebay the best option?

OFG

Sold! (some of it...)

Thanks everyone for the input.

The Panelviews ship Monday to plccenter.com, and I am getting a price from Electrical South for the PLC's. Does anyone else have any place they sell to?

OFG

You could try:

IVS, Inc
Scott G.
734-524-1061
Livonia, MI

I have dealt with them before. You can tell him that Jim at FasTrak referred you if you want.