New to PLC's

mattaho

Hey I am an 18 year old high school student learning the ropes of PLC's any help available is gtreatly appreciated. I am currently working with an Allen Bradley SLC 5/03.

I have wired up my PLC so that the inputs just act off 3 coloured lights on the front of the unit. All the lights on the input box work properly and everything does what i want it to but the FLT light continually flashes. Any tips or ideas?

Also,

My panelview 550 is hooked up and power is getting to it but it doesnt dispay anything at all the light turns on just the way i want it to but nothing is displayed. Any tips or ideas?

Thanks Alot for any help.

In RSLogix you can look at the processor status. There is a fault indication, which can be looked up in the manual to give you an idea of the cause of the fault. This will help narrow it down.

On the PanelView, have you made sure the protocol and port settings matcht between the screen and the comm port?

everything does what i want it to but the FLT light continually flashes

I’m missing something here ... if the FLT light flashes, then the SLC usually doesn’t do anything ...

suggested plan of attack: zip your .RSS file and post it ... we can tell a lot more about your system once we’ve seen that ... also post a list of the input and output modules and the order in which they are arranged in the chassis ... I’ve got a hunch that your problem is related to the I/O configuration in the “program” not matching up with the I/O configuration in the “hardware” ... with an SLC system, this will generate a fault condition ...

Ron Beaufort said:
I’m missing something here ... if the FLT light flashes, then the SLC usually doesn’t do anything ...
My bet is since he's only seeing inputs go on, he is not running a valid program.

This may be a rack configuration problem. In the RS Logix software, on your left hand "tree" marked "I/O configuration", make sure the cards match what your program says it should be.

(INSIDE NOTE TO RON BEAUFORT: Sorry, I was barking up the wrong tree.)

Last edited:
Hi RyanRope,
I appreciate that you are 18 and consider the rest of us complete idiots, probably because we all work for a living, however it's obvious from your contry of origin, signature and question that it is simply the same tired attempt to have some one else provide you with the answers.
Given the expense of traditional vendor provided training classes and your apparent dis-interest in the text books provided in your own class may I suggest http://www.plctutor.com/
The also used to be a myplctutor site or some such but I can't google them any longer.
Don't forget that this site also offers a very good book on PLC programming at a reasonable price. http://www.plcs.net/book.shtml

I agree, cut the guy some slack, if he's 18 and into plcs, he is way ahead of most.

I think NNIXON6 needs to take a chill pill. Here is some good advice MATTAHO. Effort put forth by you will be rewarded with effort put forth by us. Here's a tip to help get you started. If you are showing a fault light on your processor, there is no program running in it, which would explain why you HMI shows nothing. Dig in, and keep us updated. The best way to learn PLC's is to troubleshoot them. Learn to find information in manuals and books. That way you can get the answers, without replys like NNIXON6's. Plus remember this. The harder you work to find an answer, the longer you will remember the answer.

nnixon6 said:
Hi RyanRope,
I appreciate that you are 18 and consider the rest of us complete idiots, probably because we all work for a living, however it's obvious from your contry of origin, signature and question that it is simply the same tired attempt to have some one else provide you with the answers.
Given the expense of traditional vendor provided training classes and your apparent dis-interest in the text books provided in your own class may I suggest http://www.plctutor.com/
The also used to be a myplctutor site or some such but I can't google them any longer.
Don't forget that this site also offers a very good book on PLC programming at a reasonable price. http://www.plcs.net/book.shtml

Well, they could very well be one and the same person considering how New Hamburg and Grand Valley just happen to be the same geographical region. However, this one deals with a SLC500 while RR's questions were about PLC5s. But then identity really doesn't matter.

The post originating this thread is much better however. It presents a problem, gives information about what the problem is, and what has been done so far. Thus, the originator of this thread has applied something that the originator of the previous threads had not yet learned, even if it turns out that it is still the same person. Learning is what its all about.

So Mattaho, whoever you are, welcome. Yam785 gave you some good advice.

Thanks,
I only try to pass on wisdom that has been passed on to me. That is what learning is all about. Some people forget they had to learn too.

Bob

Thanks Alot for the welcome guys and I will continue to work hard and learn most things on my own. I have done well so far and the input from all of you is only going to help me more. So thanks for your understanding and I appolgize for some of the rather novice questions I may ask. Any help is greatly appriciated and thanks again.

Alaric said:
Well, they could very well be one and the same person considering how New Hamburg and Grand Valley just happen to be the same geographical region. However, this one deals with a SLC500 while RR's questions were about PLC5s. But then identity really doesn't matter.

Or possibly they are attending the same class??

Think yourself lucky some of these guys aren't police officers - it is to be hoped that the programming skills are a little sharper than the detective skills .

One hopes that we aren't all tarred with the same brush just because we come from the same geographical region .

At the end of the day , it should be hoped that our professional can behave professionally and just ignore someone who needles them , rather than the smart **** comments - as mum said "it ain't big and it ain't clever"

As mentioned , why not post the project ?

mattaho, there are two ways you can post the project. You can't upload a .RSS file, however you can upload a .doc or .zip.

You can zip the program file with WinZip if you have the program. Or you can make a copy of the .RSS file and rename it so that the name is Program.RSS.DOC. Then from the bottom advanced post reply window select the attach files button. You'll get a pop-up. Browse to the file, select it, and then click the upload button. Your program file will now be attached. Now we will be able to take a look at it and possibly guide you. Along with attaching the file, give us a slot by slot rundown of what card is each slot of the rack.

You could also goto http://www.pdf995.com/ and download the free version. This is a program that lets you print to a pdf file, with this option everyone can look at the program.

Once pdf995 is installed you can select it as the printer. In RSLogix you can goto File then Print Report and select what you want to print.