Uploading from PanelView 1200?

ckchew666

Hi,

I'm doing a conversion project to upload the program from a PV1200 (convert to RSViewME), but what is the required software to upload from the PV1200?

1) 2711-ND1
2) 2711-ND7
3) PDS
4) File transfer utility

Anyone has come across this please advise.

I tried PDS in a Win95 n/book, it gives me an error "Port not install. Refer to manual"
I tried all baud rate on the PV1200, did I miss anything?

Thanks. :)

lol, if this isn't a exam question i don't know what is.

What is the original app built with? Panelbuilder?

And RSViewME is for a PVP not PV

Last edited:
If this is the really old PV1200 then you cant convert to RSVIEW ME. The software was a dos based version of panelbuiler. I had one of these die on me a couple of years ago and my options were to either rewrite the whole app in ME or panelbuilder software or purchase a PV1400E which I think is obolete. I picked door number two (PV1400E) and hope that the thing will outlive the machine. I did have to purchase PV1400E software which is not standard panelbuilder software and it would convert the old files to PVE software. I guess I could get more money than I had time.

My recommendation is to NOT do what I did. Try to get your hands on the old software so you can get all of the addresses and figure out how things work and rebuild the screens using ME. Going to take sometime but you should be able to purchase parts for a few years.

Hardwerk said:
lol, if this isn't a exam question i don't know what is.

What is the original app built with? Panelbuilder?

And RSViewME is for a PVP not PV

This isn't an exam question.

There are a few types of PanelBuilder.

As I know 2711-ND1 is the DOS programming software for PV1200 (not sure it'll run in Win 95). Is this known as PDS?

There is another upload kit 2711-ND7, no idea how it works (DOS/Windows XP)?

Yes, RSViewME is for PVP, but PV1200 is obsolete, so we need to do conversion from PV1200 to RSViewME (not necessary PVP). The graphic can be directly convert (if not all) into RSViewME, that's why we propose RSViewME rather than RSView32 (more $$).

So you are familar with the PV1200 & it's software? Pls advise then :)

Last edited:
bwheat said:
If this is the really old PV1200 then you cant convert to RSVIEW ME. The software was a dos based version of panelbuiler. I had one of these die on me a couple of years ago and my options were to either rewrite the whole app in ME or panelbuilder software or purchase a PV1400E which I think is obolete. I picked door number two (PV1400E) and hope that the thing will outlive the machine. I did have to purchase PV1400E software which is not standard panelbuilder software and it would convert the old files to PVE software. I guess I could get more money than I had time.

My recommendation is to NOT do what I did. Try to get your hands on the old software so you can get all of the addresses and figure out how things work and rebuild the screens using ME. Going to take sometime but you should be able to purchase parts for a few years.

Customer prefer RSViewME than PV1400, because it's cheaper and newer product from AB.

Yes, we can convert PV1200 project into RSViewME by converting PV1200 project into PV1400E (we have this s/ware) project, then from PV1400E convert it to RSViewME. Right?

I dont think you can convert 1400E to ME but if you already have the software give it a shot. Or maybe call Rockwell....

bwheat said:
I dont think you can convert 1400E to ME but if you already have the software give it a shot. Or maybe call Rockwell....

From Knowledgebase. Will give a shot later..installing latest RSViewME now :)

But can anyone stick back to the question...regarding PV1200 plssss :)

Whenever I xfer from an Old panelview I use the PCMCIA card. Faster and safer. You go to the config menu on the PV and just select the options for the memory card.

Been a few projects ago since I've done this or I would walk you through step by step.

All the problems I've had trying to communicate with a PV has caused me to just use this way. It's faster anyway.

Hardwerk said:
Whenever I xfer from an Old panelview I use the PCMCIA card. Faster and safer. You go to the config menu on the PV and just select the options for the memory card.

Been a few projects ago since I've done this or I would walk you through step by step.

All the problems I've had trying to communicate with a PV has caused me to just use this way. It's faster anyway.

I wish I can use ur way, but when I turn the key to config mode, it shows a msg mentioning that the PV1200 does not has any memory card installed. We still can upload from the ram isn't?

I've got some answers

How nice it is to help out fellow people that have to experience the same thing I do.

First of all, let's get the part numbers straight.

2711-ND1 is Panelbuilder Configuration software for DOS
2711-ND1W is Panelbuilder Configuration software for Windows
PDS is before any of that, and it sucks.

The W is really talking about Windows 3.11, however I have ran the software in XP (it's on my desktop right now) and have uploaded programs using the 2711-NC13 cable in the XP environment.

The PCMCIA flash card option is the greatest thing since sliced bread on these units. You are getting your error message because the card is not plugged in. My experience is the panelviews don't like flash cards with alot of memory. I have a 64MB card that works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't work. I have an 8MB card that works all the time on any panelview. You can possibly still find these cards on ebay or something.

Back to the software, PDS has always been a pain in the butt. I never could get it to work right. It seems I had to reboot Windows 95 into DOS mode to get it to work.

I would recommend trying to find a flash card and transfering it that way. The 2711-ND1W is 4 floppy disks.

Email me directly if you have any more questions.

[email protected]

I downloaded a transfer utility from Rockwell to upload from one of our PV1200 units. I have the Panelbuilder 1400e but it would not upload from that 1200. Once uploaded, the 1400e software (I beleive converted this app to 1400e specs.

Only problem I have ever had uploading or downloading with Panelbuilder was when I didn't know to for forgot to close RSLinx before expecting to communicate with the Panelview 1200s. (Don't think that is an issue with PB32.) PB1400e opens RSLinx but I can not access my serial port for direct serial connection downloads from the transport utility.