Honeywell IPC620 Loader on XP?

meadboba

Has any one had any luck running Honeywell IPC Loader 4.4 Software on Windows. If so, what operating system? And how did you do it? I can run it on XP but the software locks up when I try to go online.

We are running it on Windows NT & 95 but want to upgrade to XP.
We can do everything except download a program to the PLC.
We use an old laptop running DOS 6.0 to download the program.

Supposedly, Honeywell is developing a WindowsXP version.

I am very interested in any IPC620 experiences out there.

We have a dozen IPC620-25/35s and 2 - IPC620-20.

Thanks.

hot off Honeywell's press a couple weeks ago . . .

Date: October 26, 2005
Subject: 620 WinLoader, Version 5.4

Purpose: Announce the release of a Windows based 620 loader package

Honeywell is pleased to announce the release for sale of the 620 WinLoader, version 5.4

The 620 WinLoader replaces the 620 MS-DOS Loader. The 620 MS-DOS Loader was an MS-DOS based software that would not function in current Windows operating systems. The 620 WinLoader addresses this issue in that it is fully compatible with Windows 2000 & XP operating systems.

Additional changes are listed below:
- The Terminal Emulator & Utility Functions are not supported in the 620 WinLoader.
- Serial printer implementation must be done using the MODE command (described in the user documentation).
- The Append Ladder Logic function will validate the file to be appended and will be appended only if the file does not contain any invalid op codes.
- This release includes a self extractor that will also install the RTDM and UAIM configuration utilities. The RTDM & UAIM utilities are no longer purchased as separate software Known Issues in this release:
- This was not tested on multidrop configuration.
- Inserting an Indirect Sendout instruction without defining a valid register value clears program memory. This is a platform issue and was not addressed in this release.

Ordering: The 620 WinLoader has the following new part numbers.

623-6225 620 WinLoader (complete with converter & cables) $1500

623-6226 620 WinLoader (software & documentation only) $650

To upgrade an existing 620 MS-DOS Loader package,
order part number: 623-6226

danw, you just made my day.
I noticed today that Honeywell finally got it's website working for sending out notices. But I hadn't seen this one.
How did you find out about the announcement?

Thanks again,
meadboba

The distributor salesman routinely copies me on news releases.

We don't have any 620's, but I happened to notice that particular release, noting that it only took Honeywell 11 years after Windows 95 to produce a loader program that would run on Windows.

Better late than never, huh?

Dan

Honeywell IPC 620 WinLoader

Just took delivery of my new Honeywell Windows XP compatible programming system for the IPC620, 620LCS and S9000 PLC controllers.

Sounds impressive but in actual fact it's almost identical to the old MS-Dos version - just ported to run in windows! No GUI anywhere in sight - a bit disapointing really.

What the heck, there wasn't a lot wrong with the old product. At least it runs on a modern machine and supports USB serial ports.

Hi, we also have winloader at my work, I agree with above that it is identical to the old dos version just now you can run it on a windows machine.

Now I just need to find a lap top with a good old fashioned serial port...these usb to serial adaptors never seem to work on the IPC plc's...

Chris

WinLoader

I use WinLoader 5.4 and I also use the old MS-Dos version 4.3 with DosBox:
http://www.dosbox.com/

The WinLoader seems unstable on some PC's and can lcok up, especially when changing program modes on the controller (aka S/W Program Mode).

With the DosBox version 6.5 running on Win2000 on my old Dell Latitude C640 I have great success talking with all the IPC620's I work with.

Some other computers running WinXP or Win2000 don't seem to work as well with DosBox, however. I have run the Loader V4.3 in a window and that works well once you tweak some shortcut settings. Also, the WinNT security gives serial port access warnings when loading you have to ignore (minor issue).

I use a homemade USB cable to power the RS-485 converter and that works fine. I haven't tried USB to RS-232 yet.

before we got the winloader, we used ms virtuel pc and ran ms-dos on that, which also works fine. just a bit more work to it

Honeywell IPC620 Loader on XP,Vista,Win7 wireless

Hi. I don't know how many 620 still running out there.
We / where I work took the Honeywell IPC620 in to this decade.

We still run the loader v4.3 software tho, we now can:

1. Be online from anywhere (on wifi or ethernet).
(yes see status and make changes, only 1 user at a time).
2. Load the ladder program from our windows server directly. (which is backed up everyday).
3. Print out program and labellist directly on the network printer.
4. Use new computers with WinXP,Vista or Win7 with no serial ports.

This is an old plc from the start of the '90's and the loader software was dos only, a winxp version was made later on.
The PLC's are very stable, and the programming that have been put into them are worth alot of hours and thats why we did this.
So what did we do: Slam a $200 pc on it, thats less 1/3 the cost of the windows loader 5.4 sofware cost, installed opensource software on it and ran the loader software on it.

Which software?

It's good to see others still using these and even better to hear that you successfully network them. So, what open source software are you using and how are the PLC's connected? I would appreciate any more information you can provide. We have a wide variety of these in operation and use laptops to connect.

Answer to bmonkj

Hello

In the 80 s and 90 s I work for IPC (Honeywell IPC and then Klöckner Moeller-IPC) in Germany, in the sales area.
After the group is closed, we (some other IPC people and I ) make service for the IPC 630, 90 and 300 plcs in Germany and Europe, if it is necessary the whole world.

We have a lot of customer which have a lot of IPC plcs running now, for this we make service, we have a lot of spare parts in our stock and we fix the broken cards.

For this jobs we make the IPC Loader, (we use in Germany Ver. 4.3 German, we have the English one too) ready for the XP or Win 7. He runs in a virtual PC (sometimes DosBox). Also we must make the CNC BOF programming (622-30xx) tools ready for xp and W7. dto the PTP Plan (622-10xx point - to point). That all is running very well.

For the 620 SPS and VNC BOF we use a USB - RS 232 or USB - RS422, if the PC has no serial port. It is running.

If you need anything of the IPC modules, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Hi. Networked IPC620 over ethernet/wifi via Linux. Software that is free.

I would upload a video how it works. I automated is as much as you only need to click a shortcut on the desktop, the loader software loads on the linux box. You see the output of the loader on your screen. (as if you ran it localy).

it only transmit the 80x25 chars on the screen so it runs well on low bandwith, I can be online on IPC PLC's over vpn. (remote support).

I would think you could apply the same technique to other dos based serial communication devices or applications to network them. I have not used any of the other IPC models than the 620, but as long as it run under dos it works.

To IAS-HK: thanks for the information.

Hi,
Do you know any phone number for Honeywell tech in the USA.
I need help with program download on a 620 series PLC with MiniCOP.

Thank you,

George