Interfacing Profibus PA device with SLC 5/04

lucifer

Folks,

I need to interface Profibus PA device (Slave devices like SIMOCODE)with SLC 5/04 and point to note here is that there is no Siemens PLC available in the network; so the PA device should directly talk to SLC 5/04.

Would you mind doing a little bit optoineering for me? :) !!!

I guess a SST card can do a trick but I am not sure exactly how. I would like if you can share the pros and cons as you people always do. Useful links, manuals and examples are welcome !!

I use the SST (Woodhead) Profibus scanners for the SLC platform when I have to connect to Profibus devices.

These are Profibus DP protocol scanners, but if you run through a DP/PA converter most PA devices can appear like DP devices, protocolwise. I thought Simocode overload relays were DP devices anyhow.

www.woodhead.com is the starting point to find information on the PFB-SLC scanner modules.

Thanks.

But I am still not pretty sure about SST. Can somebody explain me what is SST? Is it some properitory technology on which other companies are offering products? If so which one is most widely used?

Please excuse me if it seems like lot of spoon feeding.

Hello Lucifer;

SST is a soft/hardware company (Sutherland-Schultz Technology if my memory serves me right)that developped many cross-protocol converters and interfaces. We have used many of their products over the years, and have always found them very good. Their Profibus scanners for A-B PLCs (Slc-50x, PLC-5 ans ControlLogix) are very efficient. SST is now part of the Woodhead group (www.woodhead.com).

You use the Profibus configurator that comes with the scanner to setup a Profibus-DP network, with slaves that you configure and connect to the scanner (once you have prepared the tags and programs for it in the PLC). One such DP-slave can be a PA-coupler (from Siemens or Pepperl&Fuchs) or a DP/PA link (from Siemens). Both these types of interfaces will allow you to connect Profibus-PA instruments to a DP-scanner (master) such as the SST card.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Thanks Daniel. That was valuable reply.

Going further....I am having a doubt and I am really short of time do find them myself.

First I will explain the architecture I am planning to have.
Interface.JPG

Query.....
1. Will this SST-PFB-SLC card or SLC work with Profibus DP v0 and DP v1 as well? Are there any limitations for profibus versions supported by Allen Bradley or SST? If possible share the difference between DP v0 and DP v1.

Update: I talked to Woodhead Tech support people and only value addition they did is that they confirmed me that "SST-PFB-SLC card does not support DP v1" . Isn't it annoying? What's the use of DP v1 then?

Now I have gone through the basic differences between Profibus versions. I used to feel that the latest version may have advanced features (acyclic scanning,higher interrupt set etc) but it does not mean that it will not support products compatible with lower versions. But these guys are set to prove me wrong.

Guess if I want to buy a new sterio system for my car then i need to buy a new car along with it !!

Guys, somebody please through some light on it, we need a flash light.

Here is brief discussion about Profibus and it's versions....

please go through the pdf document....I guess it's useful. it's also available at... http://www.knowthebus.org/fieldbus/profibus.asp

Regards,