Need to get hardcopy of SLC 500 5/03 program

ERIC14779

Hi all ...

I am a new member of this fourum and hope it will help me..

I just started with a new employer an would like to impress him..

What I need to do is get a AB SLC 5/03 RS logix project file printed out for storage in our office paper files.

The RSlogix project files are on my work computer but we have no way to look at them. ie. no AB programing software.

I can email the project files to someone and If they could print the ladder logic view out and scan and send back to me via e-mail that would be so great !!!!

Eric

Zip the file and attach it to a post and I or someone else will convert it to a PDF.

Bob O.

Also remember Eric that your boss might not be impressed if you finds out you posted a copy of his program onto the world wide web. Should be no problem if it starts/stop a couple of conveyors but if it is for managing a proprietary process control then ??????
Regards Alan Case

Sorry to disappoint you , but as your employer , I'm not sure what you are doing would impress me !! You are assuming that everyone is on the straight and narrow , and whilst I'm sure that everyone here is honest , how do you know that what you get back is the real thing ?

I have seen guys before set out to do what you are doing , and in a number of cases , they have been so set out on trying to impress by "making some adjustments" , that they have lost sight of reality and ended up with a machine in a terrible pickle .
OK , your listing may be of some use with a hand held programmer (does anyone actually use one ?) , but other than that , has no value .
Sorry to not be so positive about this one , but as Alan mentions , your Boss may not be too impressed when he finds out that you don't know the guy who did the conversion , and you may well find yourself the official company PLC expert !

He is in a position that has AB PLC's but no software. I did not see any mention of a hand held programmer or talk of making changes in the original thread. I would give 10-1 odds that the company would like a printed copy of the program, who doesnt, especially if there is limited documentation on the system.

Actually , I didn't say his company did possess a hand held - I did mention that the listing wasn't a lot of use without one , or some other interface to the PLC .
I think the most import thing is to ensure that the original software is carefully backed up .
I don't know of too many people who reall can find a use for printed documemtation , I used to supply programmers for the Omron PLC's , but once the customer got the phone book sized listing , with the difficulties of fault finding it , they generally asked for an interface cable and Programming software .
At least with the people I deal with , all but the very smallest companys , with just one small programmable relay type PLC , take the plunge and buy the cable and software .
I also know for a fact that many people I deal with would prefer that the software they have was not just handed out - no matter what the benefit to the company is , without something being discussed first , just good practice in a business environment .
I'm sure Eric's company will be pleased to have a listing (though it may not be too much use to them ) , but they may not however be too please to know that it was done with consultation first .
Always better to ask first !!

Guys Guys

I have written simular programs for this type of machine the program is only 5 or 6 pages in ladder view. mabe 40 or 50 lines of code.

what i wanted was to have a paper backup just in case something happened and the program was lost. I would still have the program on paper that could just simply be re-entered instead of the hasle of a rewrite.

Eric

Eric - the members her are only conecerned with your company's interests, being employees of companies themselves. Please get your company's consent to thie conversion of the prorgam to printout form.

Once you state that (your company's consent) the memnbers will be more than happy to provide a PDF conversion of the program. They aren't trying to be difficult, just aware that anything that takes place on this site is open to all.

You may wish to persue the 'private message' route. Please don't try to suprise your company with your initiative.

Inform them of this opportunity for a printed version of the program. Then receive their consent. Your inititive in persuing this method of backing up the program should be seen as a positive in your favor.

ERIC14779 said:
what i wanted was to have a paper backup just in case something happened and the program was lost. I would still have the program on paper that could just simply be re-entered instead of the hasle of a rewrite.

A printed copy of the program won't be much help without the programming software. If you were to buy the software you could make your own printed copy without having to put your company's PLC program on the web for all to see.

I disagree that a printed copy won't be much help without the programming software. If the PLC program is fully debugged (lets assume it is and its been running for a while) then a good technician who can read the program printout and watch the LEDs on the IO modules and determine what input is not being made.

We have one machine with a PLC/2 and we do not have the programming software. Thats how our maintenance staff does it when something is wrong there.

Bernie has given IMO the best advice. Inform your boss that you can get a printout, but it will involve disclosing the program to another person. If he agrees, then go for it.

If I were the manager approached by an employee with such a proposal, I would be more impessed that you exhibited a concern for the company's IP as well as initiative to document it.

Last edited:
I didnt want to get into if i agree or disagree that a printed copy is any good but since Alaric brought it up...
I alsways have a hard copy of the program when i troubleshoot..(Anything complex that is)..I find it easier to stick post it notes on the relevent pages and flick back and forth between what i have on the screen and whats on paper..I am a visual kind of person so it might just work for me..

I also agree with the fact the "Boss" should know the program has gone out to other people..i send programs back and forth between a few clients in email and they are all locked with a password "just in case"..Not thats its any big secret process but you never know..

The BOSS does know I asked him first... What I meant by impressing him was to get (it) done quickly and easily.

I understand the concerns that some of you have but this is realy not a big deal (the program). It is not anything that someone would want. except for a sample program... and my boss would say to someone who wanted a copy --- SURE !!

I did not get a chance today, to send it to one of you that volunteered to print out the ladder view program.

I hope to do so tomorrow

thanks all

Eric