Plc

SarahPLC

Working on a plc project if you have a timer as a trigger, activated with a switch, is there any way to change the time for the timer if manually a second input is activated?

do I have to disable input 1 for timer to trigger with a different configuration when input 2 is set?

I think i understand what you are saying..

Input 1 if selected gives you a time of say 30 seconds..
input 2 if selected gives you a time of say 2 mins..
Is that right..
If so then No you dont have to disable input 1 (But it would be easier) and it would also be easier to use two timers..

What kind of PLC?

What PLC are you using?

If I understand your question correctly this is what you want.

If Not Input 2 then move VALUE1 into the timer preset
IF Input 2 then move VALUE2 into the timer preset
If Input 1 then run the timer.

In this ladder example for an AB PLC, if input 2 is on, the timer will run for 10 seconds. If input 2 is off, the timer will run for 20 seconds.

INPUT2
--] [------------+MOV-----+---
|10 |
|T4:0.PRE|
+--------+
INPUT2
--]/[------------+MOV-----+---
|20 |
|T4:0.PRE|
+--------+
INPUT1
--] [------------+TON-----+-( )- EN
|T4:0 |
|0 +-( )- DN
|0 |
+--------+

SarahPLC said:
Working on a plc project if you have a timer as a trigger, activated with a switch, is there any way to change the time for the timer if manually a second input is activated?

do I have to disable input 1 for timer to trigger with a different configuration when input 2 is set?

If I get your question right...

You can use a second input to alter the timer value by holding the second input on for the desired time duration. What you would do is have the 1st timer reference a spicific memory location. The second input would activate a second timer, and output that timers current value into the reference memory location while the input is on.

something like so..

input 1
---||--------------[timer 1]
preset = referance 005

input 2
----||-------------[timer 2]
[load current value of timer 2]
[OUT mem. 005]

This way you can change the timer 1 preset value by holding down a button on input 2 for the duration of the desired time.

Thats going to be a little more difficult then.
I dont believe that the PICO supports programatically changing the timer preset. Maybe it can be done, but I'm not aware of how.

I suggest you use two timers.

____
[I1]-[I2]-{T1 10
[I1]-[I2]-{T2 20
[T1]|-----{Q1
[T2]|

Last edited:
darrenj said:
Dont mean to nit pick Alaric but what happens if only input 2 is on? The timer will not work...:)

Darren, I didnt read the post that way. I read it as input one controls the timer, input two controls how long the timer is.

Was my understanding incorrect? It certianly would not be the first time. šŸ™ƒ šŸŗ

Alaric said:
Darren, I didnt read the post that way. I read it as input one controls the timer, input two controls how long the timer is.

Was my understanding incorrect? It certianly would not be the first time. šŸ™ƒ šŸŗ

You may be right..I just assumed there was two times..why else would you use two bits to turn the same timer on? bit 1=30 seconds..bit 2 = 2 mins.... oh well i have some roblems of my own to deal with now.. :) see my next post !!

You will need 2 timers. What you can do is use a selector switch will do the same thing Alaric did above. Selector switch is assigned to I2, since it is a 2 position selector switch all we need to use is 1 input. Something along these lines.

Start
I1 SM1
|---[ ]--------------( )--
| M1 I3 TT1
|---[ ]-+--[ ]-------( )--
| | I3 TT2
| +----[/]-------( )--
| Stop
| I2 RM1
|---[ ]--------------( )--

Use Timer1 or 2 as an OR function where needed. I was too lazy to do more.

This code/ladder **** gets worse every time i do it.

Last edited: