serial to parellel converter instead of centronic interface Possible?

Nauman

Can we use serial to parellel converter instead of centronic interface while communicating S7-200 with Parallel Printer. (The software we are using is STep-7 MicroWin 32 Version 3.2)

Regards

I don't know the S7. This is general computer info.

Most printers need Windows to run. They don't have any "brains".
The driver won't pass through the converter. Many also need 2 way communication.
The only printers that will work are the old dot matrix type. Epson or Oki Data are the only 2 choices on the shelf today. $300-$400 range. You can also buy these with a serial option.

Nauman,

please clarify a little about what you're trying to do. If you mean 'can I send something from the S7-200 to a printer using a serial-to-parallel converter', then you skip one step. The interface of the S7-200 is NOT RS232, but RS485. So, you have to convert from RS485 to RS232 first. Fortunately, tis can be done with the PC/PPI cable you also need to program the S7-200. But the conversion is not enough. You also have to program the S7-200 to send something to the printer.

If you're question was to inquire if it was possible to list the program without using a computer, then the answer is no.

Kind regards,

Dear sirs,

Thanks for your replies you are right, "Making a program in s7200 is necessary with the cable pc/ppi" . We have obtaied the print outs by using a s7200's demo program that contains "free port and xmt port"