Too many labels?

Steve Kemp

I've just received an slc500 program that requires modification. BTW, there's NO annotation other than bit & word descriptions (some of which are duplicated):mad: It's got 15 subroutines, all called-up unconditionally from ladder 2. So far, so good. Has the original programmer just been over-zealous by including a "label" contact at the top of every subroutine, enabling line zero of each one? There are no other instances of calls anywhere else in the program.

Usually when I see an LBL or NOP or similar identical rung at the beginning of a ladder logic file it's because that rung was used to hold a rung description that included text describing the whole logic file.

I suspect that the LBL instructions in your program were used just to hold description text (though it's evidently been lost) or to serve as quick search handles. Neither of these purposes are strictly necessary (RSLogix 500 allows description text for logic sections) but they likely don't do any harm.

LBLs are associated with JMPs ... are there any of those? ... if not, then the LBLs really aren't doing anything ... and so, Ken's analysis of the original programmer's intention is undoubtedly correct ...

Last edited: