AB Distributors

Rube

I reached my limits with my AB distributors inability to get me parts when I need them. Is there anyone in the Southern States who has an AB distributor they can recommend? I realize there are territories AB has set up for sales--but I've got a pair of plant to run and could care less about that!

The problem with that is other places would still have to purchase thru your local distributor and in most cases this will add to the cost. The company I worked for in TN did this and paid $1400 for the $1100 dollar RSLogix500 software.

I would try contacting AB directly on the issue, in many cases AB items are not stocked or available on demand. If its repair or replacement parts AB has a program that may help expedite things.
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/services/repair/

Mark, we've pretty much stopped using equipment from manufactures who supply through distributers in that manner for the exact same reason. Your pertty much stuck with existing equipment, but on future projects, it's something to consider.

UNABASHED PLUG: This has been the greatest benifit we've realized by purchasing much of our control equipment from Automation Direct. If you have a breakdown before 4:00 pm est, you can have your replacement part by 8:30am the next morning.

That is not true in my case Ron. We were unsatisfied with our assigned distributor for AB. We went to the next nearest territory and have had great service from them.....they don't need to go through the origional distributor. The only ties I have to the origional distributor is for Rockwell Software, I must purchase the software support contract through the distributor in my territory.

Greg

I recommend Roden Electrical Supply in Dalton, GA.
Phone 706-275-4400

They have offices also in Chattannoga and Knoxville.

I have dealt with them for around 15 years now and have never had a problem getting parts from them. They also have free tech support for their customers.

You may have a problem going out of your area. The only possible work around is to go through a local company in that area.

Mark Buskell
esystemusa.com

P.S. As I was typing this, a delivery showed up from them, I had a bad processor and they overnighted a replacement for me.

Thanks Ron but this is more of a "I lost your info--could you resend it" thing. I e-mailed them with my order and THEY LOST IT???? This is surely not the first time or I wouldn't be griping. I have called AB locally and in Wisconsin but it's Thanksgiving time so guess how far I've gotten!

The problem you are going to run into is this: if AB catches another distributor infringing on another distributor's territory, they will pull the offending party's distributorship. So you probably won't find many who are willing to risk it. There are a number of alternatives to getting your parts, but your distributor should be aware of them. They could have the Rockwell Distributor Resource Center find a list of distributors that have the parts you need; then your dist. buys it from them for you. If you don't mind refurbished parts (that have a new warranty), the repair parts hub in Memphis can have them at your door by 10 a.m. next day.

Thanks alot guys. Mark B., I'll give them GA boys a holler.

Mike I know your feelings about AD but your situation allows you to go to them easier than I can--I have two plants full of AB stuff. Quite honestly the local distributor wasn't always this unreliable. But to lose a friggin e-mail? My boss ain't gonna like hearing that any more than I did.

I just read Mark Buskell's post while typing mine, and I need to add a disclaimer to his post...

I work for Roden Electrical supply (on the tech support hotline), and while I greatly appreicate the plug, I must say that for any of our stores to sell to a customer, you must have a location in one of our territories. We nearly ran afoul recently with a customer in GA that has 5 plants. Four of them are in our territory, but one is not. Consequently, AB will not let us sell to that one plant. And I can assure you, our organization will not knowingly risk 75% of our sales base by selling outside of our APR. Find out who the local Rockwell (not an employee of your distributor) sales person is and list your complaints with him. It will probably be something as simple as assigning your company a new inside/outside salesman. I can guarantee you that the Rockwell guy doesn't want to lose your business. If you have a location in one of the follwing areas we can and will help you out: Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Pigeon Forge, Morristown, Kingsport, Chattanooga or Cleveland TN; Dalton, GA; Birmingham, Tuscaloosa or Montgomery, AL.

Last edited:
I was hoping mgvol or someone that worked for AB would respond. I have been in that same situation, the local distributor is now RODEN (decent outfit) but at one time was just a local electric supply company that was terrible. I went throught this problem here at a local plant then again in Nashville, TN.

Greg, they may do it but if the local distributor finds out then they will have their own problems. They may not go thru the local dist. but they do "HAVE TO".

From the standpoint of an Engineering Company that needed information and never bought anything, my local AB distributor(s) provided zero service since we never bought anything.

Funny thing, when you make the recommendations, and fill out the requisitions, you are buying the stuph. Now, when you "buy" several dozen major projects a year, or perhaps other equipment, like a hundred or so Light Curtains, it doe$ start to add up. So, how about at least a can of soda, if you ain't buying me lunch.

From the aspect of a cash and carry Electrical Contractor, I spent years trying to get a "profile" into the computer, so I could at least get the same price twice in a row sometime. Local AB distributor always claimed to have two prices, retail and contractor, but seems everyone had a different multiplier. I had one buddy who had the AB distributor stock his shop with Siemans Breaker Panels. They cost me $187 at the supply house, $119 at Home Depot. Funny thing, We installed MORE then all the other local contractors combined. I bought ONE at the supply house as a replacement when we damaged a customer furnished one. The plumber knocked it over, and the main breaker and busbars disconnected themselves from the thin plastic film they were mounted to. Siemens later improved on this.

It will be interesting to see what happens now that a Chicago distributor has come out to the cornfields and bought them out.

Time will tell.

regards.....casey

BTW AB is one reason that I love GE and Entertron!

Last edited:
Local AB distributor always claimed to have two prices, retail and contractor, but seems everyone had a different multiplier.
That part can depend on different variables. Most major suppliers offer discounts based on different factors which can be frequency of purchases, monthly, quarterly etc...their are numerous factors which affect this. In many cases the multiplier is dictated by the manufacturer.

IF you are a "cash and carry" customer it is harder to form a database of purchases for basing a multiplier. THe LOC and payment(s) are a sad necessity but a strong factor for receiving discounts and the rate of discount.

When I worked in the amusement business, 2 of my main suppliers were Motion Industries and WW Grainger, the multiplier could change from month to month (maybe quarterly) due to quantity/total of previous purchases. The first of the year I always purchased heavily and May thru August would be heavy but the other months were as needed so it caused variations in price.

I was a "TERRIBLE" business man, so bad that I am still considering converting my major to Business with a minor in Engineering (or similar). I basically learned business aspects "A day late and thousands of dollars short".

As much as I hate meetings, I think one is in order here. You need to sit down with the President or General Manager of the distributor. The distributor's outside and inside salesperson(s) responsible for your plants should also be present. Your purchasing people who deal with this distributor should be there too. In short, anyone involved in doing business with this distributor.

At this meeting, lay your issues on the table. Give the distributor an opportunity to explain their side of any issues. You and the distributor should have people present who are authorized to back up any promises they make.

I don't know how much dollar volume you do with this distributor, but "two plants full of AB stuff" is a significant chunk of business for any distributor and the salesperson who loses an account like that will have some 'splainin to do.

Wow, we must have it made here in Socal. 3 AB dist. fighting for your business. I have an account with all 3 and sometimes it's handy if I need to get a hold of something quickly.

I was having problems with the local distributor and called thier sales manager and asked him to release me to another distributor. That got thier attention and I've had better service every since. Come to find out the guy handling all my stuff was basically useless, got a new person for my account, and haven't had any major problems since.