Problems with Slc 500 and RS Linx 2.42 and 2.5

Redland Brick

Hi Folks,

Has anybody had any problems,communicating with a SLC 500
thru a 1747-PIC with RS Linx 2.42 or even 2.5 .If you have, can
you give me some tips on doing this. I don't remember having this
problem. I would imagine it has something to do with Windows XP.

Thanks,
and have a Happy Thanksgiving,

Every one has had this problem :)

In order to use a pic module you must not run RSLinx as a service. If it is running (you'll see the little rslinx icons on your tool bar) you need to shut them down. Close RLogix 500, right click on the two rslinx icons and shut them down. Go to to the rslinx shortcut on your start menu and run rslinx launch control panel.

When the control panel comes up, untick always run RSlinx as a service. then click start. RSLinx should now allow you to configure and communicate via the PIC.

Technically there are 2 important details to consider. RSLogix ver 5.20.00 and up is needed/supported for XP.

You need to use a built in serial port, usb and other adapters will not work.

If you are using a built in serial port then verify that the com port being used matches in RSLinx. Verify that no other device/drivers are running that will use the com port.

Guys,
I do keep getting this message.

The software you are installing for this hardware:
AB PIC/AIC+Port
has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with
Windows XP.

and also: Fatal error Initializing Pic Device Driver

I did disable RS Linx as a service and still get the Fatal error for
the Pic.

Thanks

You can ignore the one about Windows Logo testing, that's just a warning from the security features in XP; it won't affect the operation of the driver. By chance, do you also have RSView Studio for PanelView Plus loaded on this computer? If so, hit CTRL>ALT>DEL and go to the Windows Task Manager. Under the Processes tab, look for RSLinxNG.exe. If it is listed there, highlight it and click on End Process. This is the executable for RSLinx Enterprise, which runs under RSView Studio. It will start automatically on boot-up and/or every time Studio is started. It takes control of the serial port resources and will prevent RSLinx "Classic" serial drivers from properly operating/configuring. You can stop Linx Enterprise from automatically starting at boot-up from within Control Panel.