Kollmoran Servo Star 600

Allan Barnes

Hello All,
I am having some major problems with trying to Jog a Kollmorgen Servo over devicenet.

I have put the Drive into Position mode, and my reps all tell me thay Mjog is the command I need to use, through explicit messaging

what little information I can gather is that I need to set the Message up as Follows:

Class = 0x0F (Hex)
Instance = 145 (Dec)
Attibute = 0x01 (Dec)
Data Length = 1
Data Value = 1

From my understanding once the drive recives the command it jogs untill you send a stop command

Is there some thing I am missing, do I have to send a start trajectory message or some thing first?

Any help would be greatly apreaciated

Well based on the amount of replyies I had on this post can I assume the rest of you guys have come to the same conclusion about these drives. They are garbage. I had to rip all three out, and go with a Control Technicis Unidrive SP to do the job. Grrr, What a waist of time and mony. Next time mt Costomer tells me to us these drives, I will have to decline.

The drive has two enables that need to be on. The hardware enable is a 24V signal to the Enable input. The software enable can be set to come on all the time with the AENAB=1 (not sure but something like that) or you have to manually turn it on.

Have you been able to jog drive over the serial cable and the DRIVE.EXE software? I would go there first!! I have been working with one of these for a few weeks and am also a distributor of them. But I have not been using D-Net.

In the Drive software, there is a terminal application that lets you type commands directly to the drive. The MJog command will work here if you have everything set up.

An essential file to have is this one with all of the commands for the drive listed:

ftp://dagobah.kollmorgen.com/dist/TechInfo/S600/ascii.chm

Let me know what happens.

edit: Woops, didn't read your post all the way to see you removed the drives. They are a bit picky to work with but they are definately not garbage. Anyway, if you find you can use them on another job, I can help.

Explicit messaging for a jog command???

I would have expected that a jog forward and jog reverse bit would be included in the basic data set sent by the scanner to that node. But it's been several years since I did anything with DeviceNet, so maybe I'm misremembering.

Well I have the replacement drives fully programmed and working well. These Control Techniques Unidrive SP's sure a versatile. I tell you for having a drive that can work with any servomotor, can be used as an Open and closed loop vector drive, these things are great and a pretty decent price to boot. I have never had to program a Servo Drive, they tend to come programmed, and you just do wha the manual says. Then again, the Kollmorgan stuff cam fully programmed and I did everthing in the manual. Turns out the Devicenet portion of the Kollmorgan drive is still in Beta testing (why do companies sell stuff that they know is not 100% yet).

Any way back to te Grind.