Help!

add8742

I am a recent graduate of Electrical Engineering. I have also finished a PLC (Allen Bradley) Certificate program which familiarized me with PLC5/SLC500/Micrologix and ControlLogix 5000. From my Engineering education I have good background in the area of Power Electronics and Electric Drives.

What do you people suggest I do more to land an opportunity in the automation and drives field. I am willing to start from the technician level.

Any suggestion as to companies that would likely give me the opportunity around GTA or nearby will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

As a past plant engineer and present OFG (OldFatGuy) that has hired associates with your background, I can tell you what I would be looking for.

I wanted to see at least some experience in the real world, regardless of ceritfications. I needed to see your actual proficiency displayed, seperate of your formal education. (This includes working with other real-live people, not just the tech items).

If you cannot display this proficiency, do whatever it takes short term to get experience (internship, volunteer labor, whatever) with the mindset of progressing at each opportunity. Ideally, that will lead to the medium-term goal of a paying position in your field.

The experience of the people that hang out here is amazing. I am interested in seeing what others have to say.

OFG.

1) Network - ask instructors, acquaintances, friends of the family, relatives, etc. for ideas and if there are any openings in their companies or that they know of.

2) As OFG said, get your resume together, and understand that you will have to pay your dues to get experience. That means working for less, doing th dirty jobs, and hustling. Get a job in a related field if you can't find exactly what you want.

I back up the experience requirements.

I don't remember the resumes of the people I/we have hired. I do remember the school projects, personal projects that were business related. Text books alone are not enough. In EE the text books stuff just scratches the surface anyway. We did hire one guy because he wanted to be in motion control and he always was at the door. Persistence pays too.

The big steel mill OEMS use lots of drives. There is usually small crew that travels from mill to mill installing the drives. These mills are located all over world so it will involve a lot of travel and it is a different kind of life. Not everyone is cut out for being abroad a couple years at a time. I have only been involved in a couple steel mill start ups but it is funny how I run into the same people.

Here is a little personal experience that might help. I graduated from school in early 2003. This is after working as Paramedic/Firefighter for almost 28 years and deciding to shift gears after almost 4 years of “Health Science” college that was going nowhere. Found a job (just to pay the bills) quick which did not really involve the skills that I had an interest in. This allowed me to take my time in the search for something more final and set out a plan of attack without too much pain. If a person has too much riding on a wire, he has difficulty presenting himself without appearing desperate. I then painted a bull’s-eye on the company (and position) I truly had an interest in. Sent a resume initially, then followed up about every 6 mo’s while continuing to keep up with current events (maybe even part time school) during the time it takes to get an offer. Refreshed my original resume every time I could. Took two years, but the end result………..I couldn’t have asked for a better position or to work with a more satisfying group of guys. By the time I was hired (salary), it seemed that they already knew me. By then I had a little “real-life” field experience under my belt and was more aware of the hands on ins-n-outs. Another thing, most of the people that you are going to come in contact with come from the school of hard knocks. These guys know when someone is “BSing” them because they have been through the fire both in time spent and in education. Be honest, don’t try to recreate their wheel, and above all as Peter Nachtwey say’s- “Persistence pays too”!

First, I would like to thank everybody for their suggestions and advices.

As I tried to mention in my first post I am willing start from the bottom and get that much needed practical experience. I don't mind if it is internship, technician, or anything for that matter as long as it gives me the chance to learn.

Again if people on this board let me know of any such place where I would be given the opportunity, I would really appreciate that.

Thank you again