problem with windows installer rslinx

jmrcalin

Hi!
I uninstall rslinx 2.40 and now if I install again it a error message appears: "1550 other instalation is running".
And if I install rslinx 2.20, I haven´t any problem, but when I try to update rslinx 2.41,then a error message appears: "there is a problem with windows installer package"
How can I update rslinx 2.20 to rslinx 2.40?
regards

I recall some similar problems around the 2.3 or 2.4 versions. There's probably an article on the Rockwell knowledgebase but what I did was use regedt to search the registry for any references to rslinx and delete them. Then install the new version.

I had this problem while trying to install RSLinx 2.43
This was a problem with different versions of Microsoft Installer running same time.
I fixed it by deleting all files in the TEMP folder.

Also look at the running processes to see if MSI.exe already running. You should shut it down.

Also try MS CleanUp utility:
Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
Windows Installer CleanUp Utility:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe

Last edited:
RSLinx

This is a common problem. Go to Regedit and under edit click "find" and type in rslinx. Delete these keys. The uninstall utillity will not remove all keys for the program. If you ran uninstall without shutting linx down, it will not remove anything it finds in memory.

RsLinx does not "quit" when you exit the program. You must stop it before trying to uninstall it.

Bruce99 said:
Shutting Linx down will require using task manager. Closing the program as Lance stated, does not stop the process.
RSLinx Lunch Control Panel will stop service. It's not necessary to use task manager

rsl.jpg

Last edited:
linx shutdown

I tried the launch utillity, and like the uninstall utillity, it did not work very well. I now always use task manager. It works most of the time, but still not 100%. After using the launch utillity I used uninstall and then tried to reinstall on a different partition. It failed.

Here is the solution:
Turn off RSI services
You may be able to install RSLinx by disabling the services listed below.

• 1. FactoryTalkCE
      2. FactoryTalkReader
      3. RockwellApplication Services
      4. RockwellDirectoryMultiplexor
      5. RockwellDirectoryServer
      6. RockwellEvent Multiplexor
      7. RockwellEventSever
      8. RockwellHMIActivityLogger
      9. RockwellHMIDiagnostics
After stopping the services, reboot the PC. The services should come up stopped.
Try to install RSLinx. If successful, reboot and then return the services to their original settings.
that is the best solution to re-install rslink if it doesn´t install correctly.
regards