PLC cabinets

Enclosures are almost a commodity item. We tend to use Hammond for NEMA 12, but Rittall and Hoffman are alternates. We use Rob Roy/Stahlin for FRP NEMA 4X, and Saginaw Control and Engineering for SS NEMA 4X. A lot depends on the sizes you need and the availability of stock from your local distributors. We've occasionally used Wiegmann from AutomationDirect.com based on delivery but the pricing isn't that great.

This is the kind of product most controls distributors love to sell - no problems, easy sell, lots of repeat opportunities. I suggest you call a couple of your local distributors and tell them what you need. I know WESCO has a branch in York.

I use a little-known manufacturer out of Missouri called Schaeffer's Power Panels. Their web site is here .

I find that they deliver a very good quality enclosure at about half the price I am able to get elsewhere.

Steve

Hi, and Happy Holidays,

You also might check out your local industrial recycling yards....I get almost all of my large panels for about $0.05 per pound...works out to be about $10.00 to 15.00 for a 5'X6'X20" box....sometimes Brand new....{ OPPS ,we didn't need 5 of those}.sometimes all they need is a coat of paint.

David

[Jansen Industrial Supply in Louisville,KY sells them at about 50 % of list]

cabinet/plc

Hi there:

I personally use hoffman and wiegman cabinets. I prefer the wiegman because I can purchase it today from Mc Master carr and have it delivered the next day UPs ground. If you have a mc master catalog you can look it up or go to their web site at mcmastercarr.com.

Now for cheap PLC, there are a lot of plc out there that are reasoneable. You can purchase a Toshiba T1 series with 16 I/O for about $325.00. Now again it's depended on your I/O requirement.Good luck.

Vake

Enclosures

I have been using a distributor by the name of AD Products. Nema 12 12 gauge carbon steel, automotive handles, lockable, painted to spec LARGE sizes at about HALF of what Hoffman and Hammond want. The only problem is delivery. I have enough lead time 15-20 days, so it does not affect me but if you need it NOW it probably won't happen. BTW the enclosures were are REYNOLDS out of CANADA so quality is NOT an issue.

What use to be my Siemens distributor was a very good company, still are but they switched to Modicon plc's. Anyway they sold Rittal and it was by far less expensive than Wiegman, Hammond or Hoffman. There wasnt any lead time involved, 2-3 day delivery was standard.

I had a small problem with one order involving pedestal mounted control boxes, the bases (threaded connection) didnt match with the pedestal bolt holes. The distibutor salesman brought the Rittal rep to see the problem and I had new matching bases in a couple of days.

Like anything it all depends on the company you buy from, sometimes you can find a local company that will build to standards and offer at a better price.