Getting and staying organized

Cleaning up my office today, and bemoaning my dismal lack of organization (I hate paperwork, but who doesn't?) it occurred to me to ask - what system do you use to get organized?

For instance, let's say you have five differring machines, each with the same model of labeller on them. Do you keep one labeller manual on your "manuals" shelf, or do you have separate files on each machine, each with a manual, so you don't have to go looking for it when you need it?

Do you use folders and hanging files? Three-ring binders and bookshelves? What is most space-efficient?

Do you use project names or project numbers? Why? How do you assign project numbers?

No response is unwelcome, I'm looking for a starting point so any information is helpful.

Thanks!

TM

Timothy

I tend to think that I am in the same disorganised boat as you, I have ring binders stacked along book shelves and two filing cabinets full of the A4 envelope type folders, they are in no particular order, but they are all labelled up with their specific project name, these folders also contain all my hand written notes, even the backs of cigarette packets!

I am a bit worried about actually organising my paper work, at the moment I can put my hand on any bit of information that I need, because I know where everything is. It just means that if I am off on holiday, no one can come into my office and find anything!!

I am quite happy with the way my office is... I don't think I could change it.

A tidy desk means no work... A cluttered desk means means I am busy.

Paul

I read an excellent book a few years back called "The Time Trap" which put into words a lot of common sense observations about how time was spent on certain activities and made suggestions about how to change your way of working to utilise time more effectively. Some of the advice I couldn't apply (for example get your assistant to field phone calls for you), but two points that I still adhere to are:

1. Only work on one job at a time. Anything not related to that job gets put away in a spare drawer in my desk.

2. Clear your desk at the end of the day. Following 1 above means there is only ever the stuff related to one job on my desk so clearing it away is easy.

If I need a print of a program or section of a manual, I print it and then bin it when finished with.

Electrical drawings are shelved in ring binders around the edge of the office.

Log/note books stored my own small cupboard.

Project numbers are used - contract department allocate them.

Almost all information stored electronically. Older stuff has been scanned and thrown out.

SimonGoldsworthy said:
1. Only work on one job at a time. Anything not related to that job gets put away in a spare drawer in my desk.

Simon,

When you state one job at a time, does that mean you only have one job on, when that is completed you then start the next?

I usually have a vast number of projects or modifications on the go at any one time. I also get continually interrupted by technicians and managers asking me to 'just have a quick look at this crane or that crane', you know how it is.

This state of affairs usually adds to my disorganisation of paper work.

My best investment was on a large white dry wipe board, on this I write down my 'work load', including all those jobs that I have to look at 'later'.

I like to keep the white board full of jobs, that way when the divisional manager pops into my office for one of his little chats, he can see that I am worth every penny of the generous payrise he gave me earlier this year!

Paul

Every engineer, especially if his time is "billable", should be a fanatical user of a "Day Planner". I happen to have used "Franklin" for the last sixteen years, because an old employer paid for the initial package, but any planner system will do.

The advantages are:
1) Easy way to keep track of your time and appointments.
2) Easy "to do" list format.
3) Easy to enter future tasks on later day pages. Then they magically pop up on the "action" day.
4) Binder accessories can hold disks, CD's, frequent flyer cards, toll booth receipts, etc. (Mine zips up so I can't lose anything.)
5) Customize sections for each project.
6) Make a section for "contacts" - phone numbers, mailing addresses, and email addresses for every client. I also include every airline, rental car agency, and hotel chain I patronize. Also include vendors, manufacturers' customer service numbers and shipping companies (to check rush deliveries of field service parts).

My current boss is always coming over to me and saying "Write down in your little book to remind me to call ____ next Friday." Although I'm sure he admires my organization, maybe he should get one for himself and use it!

Way Way OT. Forum software.

Basicly this is a question for Phil and Ron.

I'm considering (just considering)..(ONLY considering) the possability of setting up a forum for ...elevators. The few that exist dont have very friendly interfaces. After some googleing I've discovered theres a gazillion forum applications, some free, some not so free. So eveybody wants something for free, but free stuff can get real expensive (time wise). The long and short of it all is what forum applications are you using, and how would you reccomend going about it? About how much time per week do you need to put in for ongoing maintenance?

Thanks very much!!

Not a bit of paper anywhere !! (except for some really obscure manuals that I haven't yet scanned ) all manuals are pdf'ed or cut and pasted into an alternative source . But of course for me , I don't work from the office . I would agree , that there are times when I want to refer to paper , in this case - I print it ! otherwise it stays as on disk.

Mike; I've setup and run phpBB and found it to be very easy to use and maintain. Learning enough about php and MySQL took me a few hours, but after that its been smooth sailing. Its something you could probably get setup over a weekend, maybe two. Its been easy to use and maintenance has been a non issue ever since I got it running.

10baseT said:
otherwise it stays as on disk.

I used to do that..

Yes, I did say I USED to. I don't anymore.

I did back up my hard drive to our IT departments central server as a precaution, but one certain person, who shall remain nameless, wiped the 'back up' server, along with all my information on it.

Just after he done that I had a hard drive failure on my PC, I lost 3 months work, I didn't loose anymore than that because I still had old back ups on my Zip disks. I now like to keep everything on paper as well as back up to CD and the IT server

Paul

10baseT said:
Not a bit of paper anywhere !! (except for some really obscure manuals that I haven't yet scanned ) all manuals are pdf'ed or cut and pasted into an alternative source . But of course for me , I don't work from the office . I would agree , that there are times when I want to refer to paper , in this case - I print it ! otherwise it stays as on disk.

Now you've given me a perfect excuse to get a new scanner. Thanks!
Although I probably won't scan everything in. I'm still mostly a hands-on person. I like paper.

Last edited:
Mike the initial learning curve can be something but once installed its fairly easy. You can spend alot of time incorporating features like Phil has done. Monitoring and doing backups are fairly simple.

I use phpBB, www.phpBB.com because it was free with my website. It requires a MySQL database.

I pay around $100 a year for website with numerous features like chat room, forum, auction, shopping cart and more. I have 2 gig of web space with bandwidth of 50 or 60 gig a month.

PM me if you want help with it.

Hey, I thought I started a new thread?? Gotta pay attention to them buttons. Talk about High Jacking a thread!! Sorry about that guys...

Mark, Thanks for the comment, it makes me a little more comfortable with the idea.

Ron, I got your PM and responded. Thanks.

PLucas said:
Simon,

When you state one job at a time, does that mean you only have one job on, when that is completed you then start the next?

I also get interruptions whilst working on my current project, mostly from engineers on site getting machines working in production that I have prepared the software for. If the phone call is merely a discussion or some quick advice then all well and good and I then return to the task in hand. If it is going to be more involved I scoop up the documentation and put it my drawer, then get out the documentation for the on site job and sort that out. It just means I don't end up with bits and pieces from different contracts accumulating on my desk that someone else may need sooner rather than later.

elevmike said:
Basicly this is a question for Phil and Ron.

I'm considering (just considering)..(ONLY considering) the possability of setting up a forum for ...elevators. The few that exist dont have very friendly interfaces. After some googleing I've discovered theres a gazillion forum applications, some free, some not so free. So eveybody wants something for free, but free stuff can get real expensive (time wise). The long and short of it all is what forum applications are you using, and how would you reccomend going about it? About how much time per week do you need to put in for ongoing maintenance?

Thanks very much!!

Most of the bigger forums I frequent (tens of thounds of users, hundreds online simultaneously) use vbulletin. I see that the software costs $100-200 depending on licensing, etc.

It's probably overkill for a small, specialized forum, but it's at least worth looking at.