ML1500 to PC (RSViewME), distance 500m

Hundikoer

Hi

Can anyone suggest me a solution for communication, where I need to connect ML1500 to PC which is located 500m away from PLC. PC will run RSView ME and RSLinx. Ethernet is not an option (high cost)

Iam asking it because I do not feel strong about serial networks

Regards
Lauri

You can use the netaic+ but you will need 2, one at each end and use the dh485 protocol. the cable is a special also. Fibre ethernet will not be that much dearer with a net eni at one end.
Regards Alan Case

Hundikoer said:
I think that it is not an option - too noisy environment.

Probably must use 1761NETAIC etc, but not sure how

FYI you can always use a wireless repeater, some routers can act as a wireless repeater and if necessary you could use more than 1. This could eliminate any environmental issues that could affect the wireless signal. In general at 500m you should obtain 1mb per second, use one or 2 repeaters and you should be able to obtain over 10mb per second.

Not sure what the NET-ENI would cost you but running cable, especially in conduit, for 500m and using 2 AIC adapters would have to cost about the same as the NET-ENI and a couple of repeaters.

Its just something you may want to look at.
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1571601

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1431101

Last edited:
If you use a 1761-NET-AIC on each end, you will be restricted to DH485 protocol, which is the slowest possible protocol for this application. I wouldn't do it if I had an option.

My recommendation would be to run fiber optics for the 500 meter distance, and use a fiber/RS232 full duplex converter at both ends. B&B Electronics Europe is a good supplier for these. With a full-duplex RS232 fiber connection, you can use DF1 Full Duplex which is the easiest and fastest protocol for a point-to-point application.

Thanks guys

I still will force the customer to Ethernet as they can use it for other applications also (VoIP etc). The speed anyway should not be an issue.

I have sort of experience that configuration PLC <>1761-NET-AIC <> 1761-NET-AIC <> PC do not work. We tested it once and no success. Can it be min lenght of the cable?

Regards
Lauri

No reason that the Net Aic to Net Aic would not have worked if properly configured. From memory I think the max distance is 4000 ft and I doubt if there is a minimum distance. (If it is then it is less than 1 metre. Have used dh485 at 1 metre quite often)
Regards Alan Case