Simatic PDM HART modem - can't establish communications

danw

Lifetime Supporting Member
Neither a USB nor a serial HART modem can be "seen" by PDM V6.0.

According to the help files, there's supposed to be a tab in the "COM Interface Properties" dialog box called "Connecting Data", but it doesn't appear, so I can't set the COM port. (Serial modem is on COM 1, USB modem is on COM 5)

I do see "general", "Network", "Change Log" and "Import" tabs.

The "Network" tab allows a choice of HART modem, but that's it.

Any ideas on where one establishes the COM port for Hart modems?

Dan

I had similar problem,I used a 250ohm resistor and all worked after, you could always try calling siemens pdm tech support for hours of mind numbing abuse.

Turns out it was a software installation issue.

The Goddess of IT installed the Simatic PDM software, managing the licensing through Siemens' license manager, but she didn't install the Device Descriptor library, because IT people are bureaucrats.

Simatic Manager won't link a COM port to a HART modem if it doesn't see the HART DD library.

When I got the DD library installed, the 'Connections' tab appeared as described in Help and I got through the rest of creating a project, ya-da, ya-da.

Dan