programming/ troubleshouting allenbradley

satchmo

Happy to come by you plc gurus online. I have gone througth plc book, hand out,and dvd, on allen bradly but I still can't do a simulation program I need help on what is needful to start plc programming and troubleshooting a jump start, I have the knowledge of ladder logic and I have and still working in PLC structured industrial envinronment
please help.

satchmo (Industrial Mechanic)

have you tried the free exercises at www.thelearningpit.com yet? ... if not, start there ... go as far as you can until you get stuck ... then post your programs with some specific questions ... we can help ... but you've got to give us something to start with ...

plus ... there are other similar requests from other posters on this forum ... those threads are active right now - and we've had a lot of requests like this in the past ... have you read those? ... the same advice that has been given to those other newcomers probably applies to your situation as well ... but if you've got something special going on, let us know ... the more we know about what you're trying to learn, the better we can help ...

sorry I couldn't be more helpful to your first post ... but right now we don't even know what Allen-Bradley PLC platform you're shooting for ... is it a PLC-5? ... or an SLC-500? ... or a MicroLogix? ... or a ControlLogix? ... or what? ... do you have any software available to experiment with? ... how about hardware? ... what's your budget? ... note: we can even work with "zero" answer to that one - but it sure helps if we know up front ...

so tell us more and we'll try to help ... and welcome to the forum ...

Thank you Ron beaufort for the directions you gave me on 'howto' get started with plc,they are very helpful. my focus now is on SLC 500 been studying and learning ....thanks

if you have RS500 (Allen-Bradley programming software), then use the SLC Instruction set in the help files for information on what each instruction does. This alone will get you familliar with AB programming.

As far as troubleshooting PLCs, it's just a matter of being familliar with what the program does & what it's not doing. 9 1/2 times out of 10 the problem will be with real world devices & not the program, but navigating the program will help you troubleshoot the devices faster.