Simple way to store 2 tags to a database

russrmartin

Hey guys, I am looking for a cheap easy way to store 2 tags from a PV+ terminal to a database. I haven't figured out an easy way to do it. The way IT is suggesting is to put a designated SCADA computer in the area to run the script and do this at designated intervals. I am wondering if there is any free VB type applications that I could install rather than paying for a FIX license. It doesn't appear to me that the PV+ terminal can do what I want. Has anyone else done something like this and have any ideas? Thanks.

Russ

THIS thread was about exactly the same requirement.
What is your PLC type exactly ?

I know that some Siemens panels can log directly to an ODBC database if it can be reached via ethernet, maybe something similar is possible for AB PV+ panels.

Theoretically there is the possibility to log data directly from within Excel via some scripts.
But the problem is to get the more advanced things to work properly, such as switching to a new log file every 24h or likewise.
A shrinkwrapped product can save you the time to fiddle with VB or VBA yourself.

If it is only two tags then did you look at the data logging. It can store the log file to a network drive. From there you can convert the log into an excel file and then load that into the database (or once the data is in Excel that may be all that is needed). It can log based on time or data change. That is what a customer does for a heat treat oven and at a 5 minute interval the log file can hold 8 temperature tags worth of data for 5.5 months before it starts over writing the old info.

Darren

<<Edit>>

Also, if you have a copy of RSView32 I think that you also have a limited copy of RSSQL (5 or 10 tags I think) and that would definetly do what you need.

Last edited: