Pv1000 Hide The Password

russrmartin

Hey guys. I have a password in a PV1000 that I want to use to allow some things, but the problem I have is that the box shows the entry all the time. I want this to be hidden, as the password needs to be entered by maintenance personnel. Does anyone know if it's possible to have a password and not have it display the actual entry? Thanks.

Russ

The PV's have a built in password function from version 3.7 of PanelBuilder32. Of course, there is a corresponding firmware update for the PV.

If you have that version or later, it should only show asterisks in the entry field.

I think they have password function, however, I needed to do another HMI that did not have password function, so there are various ways, make the password entry field white on white, if possible then when entered, copy it to another register & zero the displayed one, obscure it with a fast updating field,use a combination of function keys & do the logic in the plc + there must be other ways of entering a password.
The only thing is that not all HMI's have the ability to put white on white.
One other way is to enable the display field on a function key, type in the password, then disable the view if possible.

If using PanelBuilder32

1. Go to the left side and extend the "Application Settings" folder.

2. Double-click on security.

3. Insure that the "Mask Password Entry" is checked.

Bill

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but so far nothing has worked. I do have the password function, but all of my function keys are used up on the screen the password needs to be on. Right now, my password is just a numeric entry that is checked in the PLC. I am just having a bear of a time getting it hidden.

then just make your own, I did it number of times...

create screen and place buttons 0,1,2,...9,Clear and Enter
assign bits of one register to each button,
create 4 indicators on/off indicators (on state is asterisk,
off state is dot).
write two-three rungs of logic in your PLC and you are done...
if entered value matches password jump to screen that
only can be accessed this way, simple...

Rather than bother with all the extra PLC code and screens that panic suggested i just decided to make a text box and place it over top of the actual numeric entry. Seems to work ok. Thanks for all the help guys.

Russ

After rereading this post, I think I must have not explained something very well. This password does not allow anyone to view any "special screens", it merely overrides a bit in the PLC to allow the machine to actually run during certain circumstances. Just wanted to clarify. I did learn some things about PB32 out of this though that I didn't know before, such as the hide password function checkbox. That's the beauty of this site. Thanks again guys.

Last edited: