nserafini

Hello all,

A family member who runs a full time PLC design and programming company was kind enough to provide me with a AB SLC5/02 unit w/ input and output modules...

Also, I was given a AB SLC500 1747-PIC device to interface w/ it.

Being totally new, I've been trying to connect to the unit using RSLink, and i'm unable to. ( I'm running RSLogix500 and RSLinx2.2XX on Win XP )

From what I've seen on the web, the PIC unit is an older way to communicate with the device ...

Any advice/ideas/anything on how I can connect to begin learing bus bar design and the like ?

thanks in advance,
Nick

Windows 2000 does not recognize PIC device even through RSLinx. Maybe the same is true for Windows XP?
There is a patch which can fix this problem. Check the Rockwell web side for downloads.

Yep, RSLinx didn't have a 1747-PIC driver available for XP until version 2.31.

You can get version 2.40 of RSLinx Lite from the support.rockwellautomation.com website for free... you'll have to go through the registration process (and it's a way longer download than you'd expect for a set of comms drivers) but it doesn't require a license number.