RSLinx with RSLogix Prob

TimeFluxCap

Can anyone help me with a prob Im having with my copies of RS Logix and Linx. I have my key disk installed on the laptop with Logix500 and Linx and this is used for work in the field.

Now I have Logix500 on my PC, fire up Logix500 with my key disk in the floppy drive as usual to view and edit programs offline.
But when I install RSLinx onto this PC it is not letting me open Logix500 due to license prob of some sort. Is this a license protection of some sort? I thought with a key disk it shouldnt matter. I have a licensed version of both programs.

I want to download a prog to a micrologix, assuming I could do it since i wrote the program on the PC not the desktop. RSLinx works with Panelbuilder this way, why doesnt it work with Logix500 the same way?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Tell me, does your RSLogix 500 activation serial number begin with the number 3002 ?

PanelBuilder32 and RSLinx Lite are both unlicensed products; they do not use activation files at all.

RSLogix 500 is a licensed product, so it requires an activation key. If the activation key on your diskette is corrupted, RSLogix 500 won't start.

Try using the "EVMOVE" utility as though you were going to move the activation from the floppy to the hard drive... if an activation is shown on the diskette by the utility, that tells you if the activation file on the floppy is still good.

The good news is that if your software is under a support contract you can get an activation diskette reset done via the Web, or get a new diskette shipped to you.

Last edited:
Is your floppy drive being accessed during RSLogix 500 start-up? If not, you can force it to by holding "shift-k" during the prog start-up.

Rs, Ken, Gerry thanks for your replies.

This is a strange one that thanks to your help I have a temp fix but I will play some more to work out whats happening.

Rs, I tried two versions of the latest RSLinx release that I have on the Panelbuilder32 and RSLogixs cds. No dice. Then I scrounged up from deep within the back cupboard an old version of RSLinx on seven of those funny little square things. Floppy disks I think they are called! No good same prob, so I took your and advice and downloaded a version from the web. Same prob. Cant open my Logix when Linx is installed, saying I have exceeded my license count. Fair enough as no activation is on my hard drive but I have the key disk in the floppy drive so should work.

Gerry, woke up this morning to see your post, gave it a try and YOU BEAUTY, RSLogixs up and running, seems like that when Linx is installed Logix isnt looking for my floppy drive key disk. Have you seen this before?

Ken, do you think this is still an activation prob ie are you meant to have the activ file on yout harddrive to use the progs together or I might just have a bug with my installed progs?

Thanks again guys, much appreciated!

TimeFluxCap said:
...Logix isnt looking for my floppy drive key disk...
Look at your rocksoft.ini file (should be in your Windows directory). The CHECKDRIVES command is probably pointing to "C" only.

You add this line when you DON'T want to search the floppy.

You can safely delete this line (or you might be able to change it to CHECKDRIVES=A ?).

beerchug

-Eric

TFC's setup with the RSLogix 500 key on diskette only should work just fine, and I don't know why it does not.

My best guess is that the installation of RSLinx changed the rocksoft.ini file to not check the A: drive. Again, dunno why that would happen.

I'm going to try a little science experiment; I managed to FUBAR my main field laptop very badly this week, so I'm re-imaging the drive with our standard field office W2K install. When I re-install RSLogix 500 and RSLinx, I'll perform them in order, using a keydisk, and report what I find.

This will be a bit of a "your mileage may vary" thing, but it should be educational to go through the process.

Gerry, woke up this morning to see your post, gave it a try and YOU BEAUTY, RSLogixs up and running, seems like that when Linx is installed Logix isnt looking for my floppy drive key disk. Have you seen this before?
Always glad to help out you blokes across the ditch!

Problem sorted!

Eric, you were on the money to look in the rocksoft.ini file.

The help file tells me that in the [common] section
the line

KEYDISK=FALSE is for when the activation is installed on your pc.
KEYDISK=TRUE is for when the activation disk is used.

This is selected by a tick box on installation of RSLogix. However, installation of RSLinx is changing my setting to false. I simply changed it to true and everything is fine!

Thanks to all and great work guys!!!!!

I just installed RSLogix 500 Standard 5.20 and RSLinx Lite 2.31 to a dead-stock brand-new Windows 2000 HP 4150B laptop.

I de-selected "Install Activation Now" at the end of the RSLogix 500 install. The RSLinx Lite install did not, as expected, offer that option.

My Rocksoft.ini file does not contain the KEYDISK= or CHECKDRIVES keywords.

But both applications do check the A: drive for an activation file. Huh.

Well, TFC, glad you got your install sorted out. Infinite variety in infinite combination.....

(P.S. I also sorted out for myself the difference between the RSLinx Lite install and the RSLinx Gateway install..... there isn't one. I put on an RSLinx Gateway activation and the program came up running as Gateway).

Oh, and yet another thing; I moved an activation off a very old master disk, and the EVMOVE application ended up creating an "EVICOM.SYS" activation file. That's the old pre-RSI activation file.

This is bad; it prevented both RSLogix and RSLinx from starting !

Fortunately, it is easily and harmlessly deleted.

Ken, at the last install I was using RSLinx version 2.20.01.
You have the newer 2.31. Perhaps this is why you have no CHECK= in mine or KEYDISK= in your rocksoft.ini. Maybe they hide it somewhere else or do it dfferently on different versions perhaps, or maybe because your machine is WIN2K and mine is WIN98SE file systems???....

Again everyone, ta for the help!