I need some direction

drew2

Could someone point me in the direction on hoew to wire a plc from the pushbutton through the plc and the end device.Also does the wiring changes if it is a digital or analog output. Please help and that guys.

Try this adres, I know it's for Siemens and not for AB (maybe other people can show you where to find AB-manuals or have the most basic information on file). Choose 'manuals' and you will find many manuals with hardware- and wiring examples. By the way, did you try 'learn plcs'?

http://support.automation.siemens.c...se&objid=10805045&siteid=cseus&subtype=130000

this should give you all the wiring-data for the
modules;

http://cache.automation.siemens.com/dnl/DYxMjQ0NwAA_8859629_HB/S7-300_RHB_e.pdf

Last edited:
Always, always, always draw the circuit. You need continuity through the circuit. You need a current source, a load, and a return circuit. About half the "how do I wire" questions we get would be answered if only a complete drawing of the circuit were made.

I also think you had better take a look at your text's definitions as well as the fundamental operation of the PLC I/O. I've been doing this a while, and I don't recall ever wiring through a pushbutton to the PLC and then to a load (end device?) in series the way you describe it. What are you trying to accomplish?

Siemans manuals as well as AB manuals have drawings/schematics about how to wire inputs or outputs. Just look for the manuals on inputcards and outputcards. Any other answer given here would be incomplete or even incorrect, unless you tell us exactly what brand and type of cards you're using.

Regards,

Jean, I am not sure I can agree with that fully, if the manuals can provide the answer so could many here.

In general for an input a wire is run from a device..pushbutton, sensor, swtich etc, to a plc input. Lets use a Normally opened Pushbutton as an example.
nopb..jpg

Terminal 1 would be connected to power..MORE ON THIS LATER
Terminal 2 of this device would have a wire goto a plc input...lets say Input 1.
Lets use Output 1 and connect a light, a wire would go to one connection on the light and a wire from power to the other connection on the Light...AGAIN more on the power later.

Now you can write a basic program when the Pushbutton is pressed the light will come ON.

Input 1 Output1
|-----| |---------( )---|
Pushbutton Light

The variables are the power and type of I/O used. The 2 main power sources are 120vac and 24vdc (there can be others). For inputs the standard (probably most agreed upon) method is to connect the common (neutral) to the PLC and use the hot (+) to connect to the device...ie the Pushbutton above would have +24vdc or hot 120vac connected to Terminal 1.

The PLC output could have the hot 120vac or +24vdc connected to the PLC and the neutral/common connected to the device. Using our Light as an example when the PB is pressed the output would energize and the light would turn ON.

The issue, as mentioned, is there are variables, like the I/O type. Inputs can be AC or DC with DC being sinking or sourcing. Outputs can be relay or solid state sinking or sourcing. You have to develop an understanding of the differences.