Changing nodes in Omron PLC

JoeP

Hi, folks!
First post.....

My background is in Mainframe programming (20 years), but PLC programming is a whole 'nother animal, it seems.....

I'm working on a CX-Supervisor project which needs to be capable of addressing up to 32 PLCs (I'm told this IS possible)... A couple of questions here.... 1) How does the PLC program "set" the node number for a given PLC... (Our PLC Programmer uses SYSWIN still, but could be persuaded to use CX-Programmer, I think, if I ask nicely.....)
and 2) What address should my code be looking at to determine which PLC I'm talking to....

Thanks, and please excuse any painfully obvious indications that I'm unfamiliar with PLCs in general....

JoeP

JoeP,

Welcome to the forum!

You do not mention what PLC model you are working with, this would be helpful.

In Syswin in the Project/PLC Setup menu, (depending on model), there is a Peripheral Port Setup and RS232 Port Setup menu. In the lower left corner of the dialog is a Hostlink Setting area. You will need to set unique "Node" numbers for each PLC. Make sure to download the setup information to the PLC then reboot the system.

Not just sure on question 2 (CX-Supervisor). I have not worked with it. Although I think the computer will generate a query to the PLC and the node number will be part of that query.

Hope this will help.

Hello JoeP,

With regard to your first point, the actual node number is set on the PLCs communications unit. (By the way, what PLC types and network are you using).
The programming software is then set (as gtsupport mentions) to match the PLC.
If you use CX-Programmer (please), you can have all 32 PLCs in one project, and can communicate to all of them at the same time if you wish!!!
As to your second point, within the CX-Supervisor (and / or CX-Programmer) project, each PLC within the network will need to have a unique name (e.g. PLC1, PLC2, PLC3 etc). It is this name that is used to reference the required PLC.

Hope this helps a bit

Thanks, guys! I'm back after all these months/years, and just discovered I hadn't even thanked you guys for your help! Big-time embarrassed!

Joe