How to Convert 24V Step Signal to +/-5

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a plc w/ a 24VDC pulse output and want to connect it to a stepper drive that takes +/- 5V Step+ and Step- inputs.

In the manual it says I can add some resistors and make it work but I was wondering if there is a converter to do this for me and keep things a little cleaner.

Thanks,

Use a resistor and a zener diode. That is probably your easiest solution. A more complicated and expensive one is to use an Opto-22 type isolator module, or just add a 5VDC PLC output module.

In most cases I found it easier to use the stepping motor amplifier/driver to simplify issues. It costs more but offers better benefits in the long run.

I had to take care of a flexo printing press that used 56 stepper motors so every time I got a chance I played with them and a plc. Directly driving one with a plc can get complicated, especially a 5 phase with encoder.