"Flashing the CNBR"

Voltimus

Hey gents, (and ladies)
I have a question I was hoping somebody could answer, I have a C-Net redundant system with 2 PLC5's running 1 primary, 1 secondary, it's connected through several I/O cards to various spots on our facility. We do have a central development computer that can access all these programs.
I was informed the other day that we needed to "flash" the CNBR's. I have a vague understanding of what our engineer is talking about, but, I was wondering if I could get some clarification. We have 1794-CNBR's, and I was looking for a rough procedure for this bit of maintenance. I.E. what to turn on, what to turn off, what programs to use.....

Thanks in advance....

Be careful!

When you flash the modules (to update the firmware), the IO rack that you are upgrading will revert to its default state. The default state for the IO is configurable, but typically discrete outputs are turned off. I'm not sure what will happen to analog outputs. Be aware: if you change the defaults they may not actually be applied until you reset the modules, anyway.

If you're really unlucky, the whole CNET network will want to go into program mode. I was told this week by a coworker that downloading a new network configuration through RSNetworx will cause all processors to temporarily revert to program mode.

Your best bet is to put all equipment into local manual (hardwired!) control or shut it down. If this is not an option, see your Rockwell representative and get an RSSeal-of-Approval on your upgrade plan.

AK

Take a step back.

If it's an operating control system with PLC-5 controllers and FLEX I/O (which is what I think you mean; 1794-ACN and -ANCR adapters), why does somebody think you need to touch it ? There haven't been important changes made to those products for over five years.

If this were ControlLogix I'd say go ahead and just plan a shutdown. But PLC-5 has been through a few 'phases' of ControlNet implementation and you could end up with incompatible or failed equipment if you do this incorrectly.

Use RSLinx to browse through and get the part number, Series letter, and firmware revision of every component in the system, and then call your local Rockwell office.

I once spent a very unhappy Christmas Eve knee-deep in icy water at a cement factory because somebody decided they wanted to upgrade the ControlNet system without buying any firmware kits or reading any release notes.