Ferrule Crimpers

Atlascycle

Does Any one have any recomendations on Ferrule Crimpers?

What is better an universal type, or one with individula cavities for each size ferrule?

Front Entry, or side entry?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Jason

That is one of the better ones. I like the ratcheting crimpers over the squeeze ones. It insures each one has the same amount of compression and everybody does the same amount. With the squeeze em kind, I have pulled too many wires loose during test or start up.

www.alliedelec.com has one of the best selections of crimping tools I have found.

I have to cast my vote for the ratcheting models as well. I have used several different types and IMHO the poorest ratcheting models that I have used were better than the best non-ratcheting models.

Weidemueller make a huge range of crimpers. I have see a ratcheting crimper the crimps a pattern like this _| |_| |_ into the pin. (0.5mm to 2.5mm lugs) _ _ _
| | | |

Regards Alan Case

Edit. Well that diagram did not work

Last edited:
I will join Alan Case.
Weidmuller have the best I know Then Phoenix Contact.

Weidmuller Have model with rotate head 0.5-4mm^2 and ratcheting.
The only problem is the price here it cost 150$ but it wotth every penny.
http://www.weidmueller.com/docs/products.asp?id=25465&domid=1031&sp=3&addlastid=&m1=20175&m2=20280&m3=24408&m4=25220&m5=25384&m6=25465
Look for PZ6 Roto
This tool is not working well for below 0.5mm^2 and above 4mm^2 it might damaged.
I use this things for the last 12 years and very happy with.
Try also CRIMPFOX UD6-4 by PHOENIX CONTACT

http://eshop.phoenixcontact.com/phoenix/treeViewClick.do;jsessionid=Dv8pLcDZ7lKv6W1Bjp4hnwV4sxPWxF6n7T0v2cF1XQGHGByJPvvd!53916036!NONE?UID=1201853&parentUID=null&reloadFrame=true

UD10-4 is not crimping well 0.75mm^2 I use the for 6-10 mm^2

Last edited:
barneydog123
"I just use wire cutters, they do a great job"

That what you think.

Sorry to tell you, to crimp a ferrules with out the right tool its irresponsible and unprofessional, the wire might get loss and create lot of problems.
The wire might slip out from the terminal or loss contact, heat the contact point and burn the component.
This tools made for important reason.

Last edited:
I use a ratchet type crimper that is side entry and is a "one size fits all" solution from 0.25mm to 6mm cable. It is dieless.

The wonderful thing about this beast is that it consists of 4 sides that form a rectanguler die moulded type crimp. With this little beasty I can quite comfortably fit a 1.5 sq mm ferule crimp in smaller relay bases such as Omron P2RF type bases, the AB equivalent, the Izumi equivqlent, Finder, Telemecanique (Finder) etc.

The standard type ratchet crimper tends to spread the ferrule and this makes it very hard to fit into many pieces of equipment out there. The square die type crimp makes it easy.

These things are probably available world wide but are certainly sold in Ozz by a company named Cabac.

Unfortunately the link to the little dear in their catalogue is broken. If it comes up again, I will post the link here.

By the way, our local Legrand product manager took away some sample crimps to send back to France. He was very impressed.

I have given away Weidmueller crimpers and cable strippers as I consider them to be plastic toys. They do not last. I have thrown away 100s of dollars worth of the damn things. Have gone back to the old "Tyranasaurus Rex" type strippers thank you. They are front entry.

Bob

Please look at the link I add of Weidmuller,it is not plastic toy.
I know what you talking about, but Weidmuller have decent tools.
The main advantage of this one is you have rotated head so you can crimp from the front or from the side.
It is very helpful in packed places.

We use a lot of 5mm hex head screws in the panels and it is a lot easier using a ball type allen key to do them up. Trouble is if you are using a power driver then the only 1/4" to 5mm bits I can find are a straight allen key, not the ball type allen key.

I realise I can grind a ball into the ends of the bits but it would be nice to buy the ready made item.
Anyone ever seen these for sale?
Regards Alan Case