RsLinx on Bootup

jthornton

I have RsLinx Lite 2.3 on a w2000 pro machine and it automaticly loads on boot up and goes to the task bar. I can't find out how to stop that. I looked in all the start menu startup and nothing there. I have looked at the help file for RsLinx. I also get the RSI Directory server loaded at boot up. It did not do this before I upgraded to the latest version.

I found this in the help file "If RSLinx is automatically started by COM (OPC clients) or by DTL32 (RSLogix products, custom C applications, etc.), no splash screen appears and the RSLinx main window is not shown. In this case, the RSLinx application is said to be running "headless." RSLinx does however appear as a system tray icon, just as if it were running as a service.", but it doesn't tell me much...

Any Ideas???

TIA

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services; Right-click on RSLinx, select properties, change start-up from automatic to manual.

It's actually even easer than that; from the Start menu, navigate to the Rockwell Software submenu and launch the RSLinx Service Control Panel. Because Windows 2000 hides seldom-used items in the Start Menu, this little utility is easy to overlook.

The RSLinx Service Control Panel will let you simply uncheck the box that tells RSLinx to run automatically as a service.

Ken Roach said:
It's actually even easer than that; from the Start menu, navigate to the Rockwell Software submenu and launch the RSLinx Service Control Panel. Because Windows 2000 hides seldom-used items in the Start Menu, this little utility is easy to overlook.

The RSLinx Service Control Panel will let you simply uncheck the box that tells RSLinx to run automatically as a service.

I did not have that menu item... perhaps that is not include in the lite version of RsLinx...

Thanks for the reply

One more place to check (or uncheck)

Another place you might find the controls is to open RSLinx. Go to the VIEW menu, and under options, select the Service tab. Big friendly checkbox that says "Start RSLinx Service automatically each time the system is started."

I've been told that not all versions of RSLinx have the Services tab (or maybe it's a O/S thing, or perhaps it's a keydisk thing - I've never been sure).

I don't have Admin rights on my PC (thanks to a new IT policy) but I would really like to keep RSLinx from starting automatically. I went to the RSLinx Launch Control Panel, stopped the service, but it tells me that I'm not authorized to uncheck the "Always run as a service" option.

Also, I don't have the Service tab in my version of RSLinx, and getting into the Administrative Tools is out of the question.

Any thoughts?

go to Run > msconfig

choose the Services tab & check the box that says 'hide all Microsoft services (just makes it easier to find what you're looking for)

uncheck RSLinx & reboot

wilheldp said:
I don't have Admin rights on my PC (thanks to a new IT policy) but I would really like to keep RSLinx from starting automatically. I went to the RSLinx Launch Control Panel, stopped the service, but it tells me that I'm not authorized to uncheck the "Always run as a service" option.

Also, I don't have the Service tab in my version of RSLinx, and getting into the Administrative Tools is out of the question.

Any thoughts?

Isn't that annoying? I can understand it for business machines but a laptop used for programming and uploading/downloading should be somehow exempt.

I suppose you're left with asking someone with administraion privledges to change the setting.