RSLogix 5000 Version Conflict

Guys,

Please help.

Is there any way that we can open a RSLogix5000 program written in V13 in RSLogix5000 V12/11?

I think there is only up-compatibility. Please suggest.

Here's how you can open a later version of an RSLogix 5000 program with an earlier version of the software:

Be sure to save a copy of the original!!!

1. Have somebody who has v13 of the software save the file using the .L5K extension.

2. Open the .L5K file using Word Pad. You should see something similar to the following file: (which has been cropped for uploading)

L5Ksample.jpg

3. The key things to change are the IE Ver and, if necessary, the major revision numbers of any controllers in the program.

4. Change the IE Ver number from "2.3" (which is for version 13 of the software) to "2.2" (for version 12).

Note: You can check the correct version number by exporting an L5K file from a version 11 or 12 project, and matching this number.

5. You will also need to change the major revision number of the controller to the version you are using.

6. When you have finished the changes, you can use the Open/Import feature to import the L5K file back into RSLogix 5000.

Hope this gets you started!

Rick

David,

I can confirm Rick's reply: it works. I have done this with versions 10 through 13 without much problems.

Kind regards,

davidg68124 said:
Great information. You have done this? With no problems?
I've done it, to go from V15 to V13. It worked just fine. No errors.

If an .L5K file fails on import, Logix5000 will tell you what line the error was on. As long as the error was not a missing semi-colon or other end of line character, the line number indicated will be close. You should be able to troubleshoot any problems. It may involve deleting a module or chunk of code, but at least you'll get most of your program.

AK

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to perform the same operations below for RSLogix versions 10 and 8.2?

Here's how you can open a later version of an RSLogix 5000 program with an earlier version of the software:

Be sure to save a copy of the original!!!

1. Have somebody who has v13 of the software save the file using the .L5K extension.

2. Open the .L5K file using Word Pad. You should see something similar to the following file: (which has been cropped for uploading)

L5Ksample.jpg

3. The key things to change are the IE Ver and, if necessary, the major revision numbers of any controllers in the program.

4. Change the IE Ver number from "2.3" (which is for version 13 of the software) to "2.2" (for version 12).

Note: You can check the correct version number by exporting an L5K file from a version 11 or 12 project, and matching this number.

5. You will also need to change the major revision number of the controller to the version you are using.

6. When you have finished the changes, you can use the Open/Import feature to import the L5K file back into RSLogix 5000.

Hope this gets you started!

Rick

I have to perform modifications on project created in version 8.2, just tags deletion and addition of some new. I have version 10, but customer has engineering PC workstation with version 8.2 connected via redundant ControlNet to redundant PLC configuration. I'm opening the project (.acd file) with version 10 with no problems (with conversion of course), but I would like to enable the customer to access the project in future. If I download to PLCs v.10 project together with v.10 firmware customer will not be able to access that project in future from engineering workstation.

Please advice what to do.

Thanks.
Marino