AB 20A redundant power supply issue

asim_rana

Dear Experts

Above mentioned drawing has been taken from one of AB power supplies manuals. In this way we may get 20A redundant 24V dc.

But our requirement is to get 40 A redundant 24V dc. Is it possible that if we connect both |”GND” & both “+24V” & make a common bus bar?

Would we be able to get 40 A redundant 24 DC on that common bus bar?

(please consult attached word Doc for more details)

Is above topology Ok

Please advice

Best Regards

Muhammad Asim Khan

No. Connecting them simply in parallel will not result in a redundant supply. That will do the opposite, and will probably take both down if one dies due to an output problem.

Get two 40A supplies, connect the commons together, and connect the +24 lines together through 40A (or greater) Diodes. You will probably need to heat-sink the diode's. A 24VDC relay on each power supply output (before the diodes) can be used to detect if one supply has failed.

This is the circuitry that is generally inside of the manufacturered 'Redundant Power Supply Interface Modules'.